none
Not Getting Default Date RRS feed

• Question

• I have tasks in my schedule that are not being driven or calculating as they should.  I broke the link on one task and instead of giving me the default date of when the project started, it has hard date instead.  I've checked the hours in my calendar and they're set for 8 hour per day.  No hard constraints and I have checked the calculation feature.  Also, when I link this task to its predecessor which has an earlier finish date, it's not moving to reflect the next date.  Example: Pred finished on 04/07/14 and Succ should've started 04/10/14, but instead, Succ shows a date of 07/07/14.  No float or slack on this task.  And no hard constraint.  Not sure what's going on with this one.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 6:24 PM

All replies

• da_raw1 --

Are you using Manually Scheduled tasks in your project?  That would cause this problem.  Do you have Automatic Calculation enabled in your copy of Microsoft Project?  To check this, click File > Options > Schedule.  At the bottom of the Schedule page, confirm that the On option is selected in the Calculation section of the dialog.  While you are still on the Schedule in the Project Options dialog, scroll up and locate the Scheduling Options for This Project section.  Is the Auto Scheduled Tasks Scheduled On option set to Project Start Date or Current Date?  If it is set to Current Date, change it to Project Start Date.  Then click the OK button.  Please let us know if any of this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 7:15 PM
  • Hi,

One more possibility: did you inadvertently enter an Actual Start date? Actual start reflects when a task is really done (in pronciple only in the past, but Project accepts any date). Once a task has an Actual Start or Finish it will no longer be recalculated.

Greetings,

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 8:21 PM
  • Dale,

Thanks for the reply.  Let me tell what I have based on your reply.

Are you using Manually Scheduled tasks in your project?  That would cause this problem.  Please define "manually scheduled tasks?  To my knowledge, I am not.

Do you have Automatic Calculation enabled in your copy of Microsoft Project?  Yes.

To check this, click File > Options > Schedule.  At the bottom of the Schedule page, confirm that the On option is selected in the Calculation section of the dialog.  Checked this on the "Calculation" tab of Project 2007.  It is set to Auto Calculation.

While you are still on the Schedule in the Project Options dialog, scroll up and locate the Scheduling Options for This Project section.  I do not see this option/feature in Project 2007

Is the Auto Scheduled Tasks Scheduled On option set to Project Start Date or Current Date?  Where is this located in Project 2007?

If it is set to Current Date, change it to Project Start Date.  Then click the OK button.  Please let us know if any of this helps.  Where is this feature? 

And I also checked the "Actual Start" field as well and there aren't any dates.

Sorry for all of the questions, but I'm really stumped on this one.

Reggie

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 4:18 AM
  • Hi,

You would have saved us a lot of time had you told us it was about Project 2007 which is no longer the default version :-))

Project 2007 does not have manually scheduled tasks.

The schedule option about start on current date don't come into play since you tele us the task does not have a constraint (the option would set one)

There's one thing in your question that alarms me:

"Pred finished on 04/07/14 and Succ should've started 04/10/14, but instead, Succ shows a date of 07/07/14."

That is the date that would show when your Windows regional settings would be European: 4/7 is July 4, 4/10 is October 4, 7/7 is July 7.

So this is consistent for me... (I live in Europe)

Greetings,

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 8:47 AM
  • Dale,

My apologies for not being version specific.  It may have also saved us time if you had asked which version of Project I am using.  At any rate, the date I used as an example, 4/7/14, is not the European version, but the American version.  So as of now, the Predecessor to the task in question has a finish date of April 7, 2014, but the task which its Successor has a default date, linked or not, of July 7th, 2014.  And also, its preceeding tasks as well are also scheduled in July.  I hope this is a little more clear.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 5:37 PM
  • da_raw1 --

By chance, have you leveled resource overallocations in this project?  If so, that will place leveling delays on tasks which prevent them from moving backwards in time.  Also, in my previous post, I asked you if you had Automatic Calculation enabled.  You will need to search the worksheet tabs in the Options dialog and look for a feature called something like Calculate Project After Each Edit.  That feature needs to be enabled, if it is not enabled already.  Let us know and we will keep trying to help you.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 8:15 PM
  • Hi Dale,

The schedule is not resource loaded so the overallocation point does not apply here.  And "yes", the Auto Calculation feature is on as well. 

Friday, April 25, 2014 12:00 AM
  • da_raw1 --

Well, I am running out of ideas for you.  If your project does not contain confidential information, I would be curious to take a look at it.  If you are willing, feel free to e-mail it to me at:

dalehowardmvpATgmailDOTcom

You should be able to figure out what my real e-mail address is from the above.  Let me know and I will try to help you.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, April 25, 2014 12:38 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry to jump into this thread, but here are some more advice..

In order to detect if the culprit is the project plan, please open your file on another machine and try to reproduce this unexpected behavior. Also try to create a brand new file to test the behavior. If your file is actually the culprit, you might have a corrupted file. See here for repairing the project using the XML export method.

In order to detect if the culprit is Ms Project (the software) on your machine, please try repairing MS Project going to control panel then select MS Project 2007 and repair it.

Please tell us the output.

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Friday, April 25, 2014 12:44 AM
  • da_raw1,

None of the other guys asked so I might as well. You indicate you have Project 2007 but it is updated with SP3? If not, do so immediately. If you do have the update then I'd try saving to XML as Guillaume suggests in case the file itself is corrupt. If you are fully updated and saving to XML doesn't help then I'd take Dale up on his offer to look at your file. He WILL find out what is wrong.

John

Friday, April 25, 2014 2:12 AM
  • Hi John,

That's exactly what I did....sent the file to Dale.  Wish me luck and thanks for the reply.

Reggie

Friday, April 25, 2014 4:33 AM
  • Hi Dale,

I just sent you the file.  I look forward to your reply.

Reggie

Friday, April 25, 2014 4:35 AM