Research facility in Office 2010 applications retune "No results found. Please search again" RRS feed

• Question

• I have just purchased a DELL Inspiron E6500 running Windows 7 64bit and Office 2010 Professional 64bit.  All the office applications that have the Research function return "No result found. Please search again" when I want to look up a word.  How can I switch it on or is it a bug!   It is driving me nuts!!!!!!!
    Friday, November 12, 2010 4:20 PM

Answers

• IE8 default search should have no affect on the thesaurus as this is internal to Office.

I can only replacate half your error message "No result found".  To achieve it I did the following

Either

Look for a word in a language I don't have

Or

Empty the MSTH7EN.LEX file.

Did you check that English(U.K.) was the default? (in Language, Language Preferences) 

I've just noticed that your other language is US.  A long time ago I had experience of encountering these preinstalled PC types and the image used to build the PC was American, and nobody had bothered to configure it for the UK, before selling it.

You could also try checking your Windows settings for Region and Language in the Control Panel. To make sure your setup as English (United Kingdom) in the Formats Tab and your Location is also United Kingdom.  However if UK is the default langauge for Office this will make little difference.

G North MMI
    • Marked as answer by Sally Tang Thursday, November 18, 2010 6:53 AM
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 3:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

There are several factors that may cause the problem. I suggest troubleshooting the issue by the suggestions here:

http://www.msoutlook.info/question/47

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Monday, November 15, 2010 7:46 AM
  • Thanks Sally,

However, the search function works fine its the Thesaurus function under Research that returns the "No results found" in all Office 2010 applications??

Best regards,

Graham

Monday, November 15, 2010 12:06 PM
  • Hi

Sounds like you might need to repair your Office install.  Have a look in C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\PROOF the basic internal thesaurus files are located here (MSTH3*(AM,BR,FR language versions). 

In a custom install of Office it's possible to deselect the relevant option.  I'm assuming you can spell check.

You'll probably need your Software DVD too, hope it was shipped with your laptop.

G North MMI
    Monday, November 15, 2010 12:37 PM
  • Hi,

Looked in both C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\PROOF and in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared the PROOF directory is not there. The files you mention are missing in the x86 directory.  The laptop came pre-packed so looks like I'll need to pull the recovery/backup disc out and reinstall.

Many thanks and will let you know if this resolves the problem.

Cheers

Graham

Monday, November 15, 2010 3:30 PM
  • HI G Norht,

I have found MSTH7EN.DLL, MSTH7EN.LEX in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\PROOF would these be the files??

Cheers

Graham

Monday, November 15, 2010 3:38 PM
  • Hi

Yes.  Sorry for giving you the wrong files to look for I've got three versions in some form or another on my system.

As you have the files.  The next thing to look at are the options in Research options.

Click the Research button at the bottom of the pane that appears on the right you'll find the options. What items are ticked in reference books?

G North MMI
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 11:06 AM
  • Hi,

Below are the checked boxes in the Research Options and Bing is second on teh list in my IE8 Add-ins Search providers.

Reference Books

• Encarta Dictionary: English( North Amarica)
    • Encarta Dictionary: English(UK)
    • English Assistance : UK
    • Thesaurus: English (UK)
    • Thesuarus: English (US)

Translation

• Research Sites
    • Bing (Current Favorite)
    • Bing (Ireland)
    • Bing (United Kingdom)
    • Factiva iWorks
    • HighBeam (TM) Research

Business and Financial Sites

• Thomos Gale Company Profile

Cheers

Graham

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 12:01 PM
  • OK. Nothing amiss there.

Under Review on the language button theres a Language preferences option.  Under Choose Editing languages you should have English(U.K.)<default>, Enabled, Installed.

Have you tried to Repair your installation?  You'll need to run the setup program again.  (Assuming you have the disk from Dell).

G North MMI
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 12:42 PM
  • Hi,

When I started EI8 for the first time it asked if I wanted to install Bing and I chose not to, thinking IE8 and Firefox were enough.  Would this be the problem if Bing is the default Research Sites for Office 2010???  I've been looking to see if there is a Bing download but don't seem to be able to fine one.  Should I download and reinstall EI8 and accept the Bing option???

Cheers

Graham

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 1:02 PM
  • There are only two other settings in Word that you could try.  They are both on the Reaseach options again.

There's an update/remove button.  You could try update the Thesauri entries.  It's not boken on my machine so it didn't do much when I tried it.

There's also Parental Control.  I don't think ths could be the answer to your problem, as it's more than likely to produce the reverse of you current situation blocking access to Web Services.  I cannot try this at the moment as the feature is blocked by our IT people.

If you cannot repair/reinstall Office from the disks provided.  It looks like you will have to approach your supplier to get the disks to reinstall.

G North MMI
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 1:05 PM
  • IE8 default search should have no affect on the thesaurus as this is internal to Office.

I can only replacate half your error message "No result found".  To achieve it I did the following

Either

Look for a word in a language I don't have

Or

Empty the MSTH7EN.LEX file.

Did you check that English(U.K.) was the default? (in Language, Language Preferences) 

I've just noticed that your other language is US.  A long time ago I had experience of encountering these preinstalled PC types and the image used to build the PC was American, and nobody had bothered to configure it for the UK, before selling it.

You could also try checking your Windows settings for Region and Language in the Control Panel. To make sure your setup as English (United Kingdom) in the Formats Tab and your Location is also United Kingdom.  However if UK is the default langauge for Office this will make little difference.

G North MMI
    • Marked as answer by Sally Tang Thursday, November 18, 2010 6:53 AM
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 3:16 PM
  • Hi,

Yes English UK is the default both in Windows and Word and the location is set to United Kingdom.

I think I might just restore the machine to the factory deliverd point and start all over again. 

Thanks for all the help and I'll let you know the outcome.

Cheers

Graham

Thursday, November 18, 2010 9:17 PM
  • Hi G North,

All problems resolved with a complet reset.

Cheers

Graham

Sunday, November 21, 2010 4:27 PM
  • Hi

Glad your OK now.

G North MMI
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 5:59 PM
  • I have same problem and repair has not worked. Started very recently - in last few days. Have not found anything that gets Thesaurus working in all office programs. Frustrating. Spell check still works. All sources are in the list under Research Options. Could it be a recent Microsoft Windows update???
    Monday, November 22, 2010 8:39 PM
  • Hi Swanssojpb

I have a fully patched everything and there's no issue in either 32bit or 64bit 2010.  I suspect that there is a registry issue and only a reinstall will clear it up. Have you tried uninstalling and then reinstalling?

Unless you've added addins recently in which case disable them and see if that fixes the problem.

G North MMI
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 9:43 AM
  • I just recently developed this problem.  A query in the research pane returns "No results found."  I have updated the dictionary/thesaurus in Research Options, ensured that the language (English US) is consistent, and repaired the installation.  I am running Office 2010 x64 on W7 x64.   Could this be a firewall issue?
    Friday, January 28, 2011 3:03 PM
  • An update: right-clicking on a word and choosing "Synonyms" from the drop-down menu displays results.  However, Shift+F7 still produces "No results found." 
    Monday, January 31, 2011 7:44 PM
  • An update: right-clicking on a word and choosing "Synonyms" from the drop-down menu displays results.  However, Shift+F7 still produces "No results found." 

Synonyms works for me too but shift+f7 doesn't.

I noticed this problem only recently.

Saturday, February 5, 2011 2:55 PM
  • Emtunc, what version of Office are you running (x86 or x64)?
    Saturday, February 5, 2011 5:11 PM
  • Emtunc, what version of Office are you running (x86 or x64)?

x86 - WinXP - Office 2010

edit: Tried repairing the installation too, via control panel - no luck.

A complete re-install may fix this but I don't have time uninstall, re-install, re-activate and re-apply my settings.

Sunday, February 6, 2011 11:09 AM
  • I actually uninstalled, used the Microsoft Fix-it uninstallers, manually combed through the registry and AppData folders to delete all traces, and then reinstalled, to no avail.  Not really sure what is going on, but would love a fix!
    Monday, February 7, 2011 2:47 PM

So I'm having *exactly* the same problem.

I also tried to reinstall, but to no avail. In between installations I also tried using CCleaner for registry.

Any ideas??

Sunday, March 6, 2011 11:56 AM

So I'm having *exactly* the same problem.

I also tried to reinstall, but to no avail. In between installations I also tried using CCleaner for registry.

Any ideas??

Same problem here, and this is new. A Microsoft Update has messed this up for sure. Since it worked untill a few weeks ago and absolutely nothing has changed on my two Windows 7 x64 SP1 system, besides the last Microsoft updates.
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 2:14 PM
  • I am having the same problem and have tried all of the solutions listed and more.  Another thread seems to link it to Windows 7 Home Premium.  Are all of you running Windows Home Premium?
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 9:51 PM
    • Edited by David Wolters Thursday, September 1, 2011 2:55 PM Code broke the table, post was unreadable
    • Proposed as answer by swansojb Monday, June 10, 2013 6:46 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by swansojb Monday, June 10, 2013 6:46 AM
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 11:23 AM