none
automatic date filters? RRS feed

• Question

• hopefully i'm not coming at this from entirely the wrong direction. i'm used to working with cognos' metric studio, where the UI automatically proivdes navigation buttons to switch between dates when viewing a scorecard.

with performance point, i don't see any similar functionality in the scorecard demo. i've created my own scorecards and can display multiple months as columns, but that's as close as i can get. and that doesn't get me anywhere with a strategy map.

am i limited to just the current time period? by default it seems to give me all time, not any particular time period. ?

is there a document that outlines how to create a working demo? i feel like i'm floundering around and not finding much help anywhere.

thanks,

james

Thursday, November 8, 2007 7:43 PM

Answers

• If by "previous month" you mean the month prior to the current then you would be looking to use a Time Intelligence filter. The STPS (Simple Time Period Specification) code for the current month is Month, the previous month (i.e. the month prior to the current) would be Month-1. I posted a bit on the STPS a while back which may be of some use. 

If, however, you simply want users to be able to look at past data based simply on the name of the period (i.e. with no automated reference to "today") you would best create a plain filter based on the date dimension and include the appropriate members of the time dimension you wish your users to have access to.

HTH,

Nick

Thursday, November 8, 2007 9:29 PM
  • Hi James,

Apologies for the late response... been a busy week

it looks like a filter can only affect one data source at a time. so if i have a dashboard that uses two data sources, i need to have two filters, one for each data source... right?

No TI filters can be configured to calculate periods relative to the current one for multiple data sources at once. You only need one TI filter. TI calculates the appropriate value for each data source. You simply pass the appropriate value to the report that uses each data source. Be aware though, if you reference multiple data sources in a scorecard (eg a KPI gets actuals from a cube and Target values from a table) the TI filter will not apply the value to both data sources. There is a workaround to this that (I believe) the PPS team will be blogging about soon.

is it possible to create a time intelligence filter that uses a multiple select tree view?

Yes, just select the option when creating the filter

it'd be nice to create something where users can navigate a tree from year/quarter/month and they can choose whatever time periods they like. i can do that with another filter type (select i think) but not the time intelligence -- it seems like each formula i create becomes a flat selection, and doesn't generate a tree.

Correct. TI filters are not hierarchical in nature. If you simply wanted to give the user a Year > Quarter > Month > Day type filter you could use a plain date dimension. Depends on your requirements.

and despite the documentation, nomenclature like year.children doesn't work... or am i missing something there?

Year.Children definitely works for me. In what context are you using it?

Cheers,

Nick

Saturday, November 17, 2007 1:57 AM

All replies

• Hi jhpwd,

PPS provides the ability to create a filter using the current date as a reference (Time Intelligence).

What you're looking for is a regular dashboard filter created using the members of a date dimension; it's just like creating any other standard dashboard filter e.g. Country, Product etc. You then link the filter to the apprpriate items on your dashboard to pass the selected value to the appropriate endpoint.

I can't point you to a specific document on this topic but referencing the help documentation on creating a filter using MDX Query or Member Selection methods.

Cheers,

Nick

Thursday, November 8, 2007 8:52 PM
  • Thanks, nick

what if i also want the user to be able to navigate through past data? so at first, user sees the dashboard with current data, then also wants to view the previous month...?

Thursday, November 8, 2007 9:02 PM
  • If by "previous month" you mean the month prior to the current then you would be looking to use a Time Intelligence filter. The STPS (Simple Time Period Specification) code for the current month is Month, the previous month (i.e. the month prior to the current) would be Month-1. I posted a bit on the STPS a while back which may be of some use. 

If, however, you simply want users to be able to look at past data based simply on the name of the period (i.e. with no automated reference to "today") you would best create a plain filter based on the date dimension and include the appropriate members of the time dimension you wish your users to have access to.

HTH,

Nick

Thursday, November 8, 2007 9:29 PM
  • so i've been playing around with these filters

it looks like a filter can only affect one data source at a time. so if i have a dashboard that uses two data sources, i need to have two filters, one for each data source... right?

looks like it's best to load anything from an excel worksheet into my main database, so that i can use one filter for all my data, and avoid clutter...

is it possible to create a time intelligence filter that uses a multiple select tree view? it'd be nice to create something where users can navigate a tree from year/quarter/month and they can choose whatever time periods they like. i can do that with another filter type (select i think) but not the time intelligence -- it seems like each formula i create becomes a flat selection, and doesn't generate a tree.

and despite the documentation, nomenclature like year.children doesn't work... or am i missing something there?

thanks,

james

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 2:44 AM
  • Hi James,

Apologies for the late response... been a busy week

No TI filters can be configured to calculate periods relative to the current one for multiple data sources at once. You only need one TI filter. TI calculates the appropriate value for each data source. You simply pass the appropriate value to the report that uses each data source. Be aware though, if you reference multiple data sources in a scorecard (eg a KPI gets actuals from a cube and Target values from a table) the TI filter will not apply the value to both data sources. There is a workaround to this that (I believe) the PPS team will be blogging about soon.

is it possible to create a time intelligence filter that uses a multiple select tree view?

Yes, just select the option when creating the filter

it'd be nice to create something where users can navigate a tree from year/quarter/month and they can choose whatever time periods they like. i can do that with another filter type (select i think) but not the time intelligence -- it seems like each formula i create becomes a flat selection, and doesn't generate a tree.

Correct. TI filters are not hierarchical in nature. If you simply wanted to give the user a Year > Quarter > Month > Day type filter you could use a plain date dimension. Depends on your requirements.

Year.Children definitely works for me. In what context are you using it?

Cheers,

Nick

Saturday, November 17, 2007 1:57 AM