Windows Server 2008 Slow network connectivity to Windows Server 2003 RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello-

After much searching over google and here on Technet I am starting a new thread.  I am having a problem where my Windows Server 2008 is only able to see my Vista Machine in the Network box.  Also, when trying to browse network drives on my windows server 2003 rs sp2 box it is SUPER slow.  I tried the netsh interface set global autotuning=disabled command on the 2008 server box as that corrects this type of behavior on the vista machines...  I am not sure what to do.  I want to continue to test and evaluate windows server 2008, but I need to be able to access network drives at a reasonable speed.  it would be nice to see the other machines on my network in the network box, too.

Thanks in advance,

Spencer

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 10:34 AM

Answers

• So it would seem that Bonez had the answer in a manner of speaking.  I didn't have to do anything with packet tagging, but I did install QoS on my Windows Server 2003 box and now the Windows Server 2008 box is able to browse network resources on the 2003 box lickity split.  I did not have to run the netsh commands.  I am betting that I could reverse those commands on my vista boxes and still be able to access the 03 box...

Thanks so much John and Bonez.

To be clear:  The solution was to make sure that QoS was installed on the 2003 box.

This could also be the answer for those having problems with Vista boxes being slow to talk to 03 boxes as well.

Friday, November 30, 2007 4:40 AM

All replies

•  

Are you facing this problem on Windows Server 2008 RC0 or Beta 3. Please download and install RC0 if currently on Beta 3 and try the same again.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=0818D425-CD47-4279-BE8D-24ABA14530A3&displaylang=en

John

Thursday, November 1, 2007 5:48 PM
  • John-

Thank you for your reply.  Here are some more details:

• The Windows Server 2008 box is RC0, I downloaded the iso file from my technet plus portal.  It is running x86 at the moment, enterprise edition full install.
    • The two Windows Server 2003 boxes are R2 SP2 Enterprise edition x64.
    • When I type \\servername\shared on the 2008 box it takes a good 60 seconds for the password credentials box to appear.
    • Eventually it does and you can browse the network drive, however each click takes 15 seconds or so.
    • Transfering a file get throughput at about 30Kb/Sec
    • I experienced this same behavior on my vista clients when I installed SP2 on these servers.  running the two netsh commands completely fixed the problem on the vista box trying to browse network drives and gain access to network resources such as printers.
    • The two commands are netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled and autotuning=disabled
    • I used these two commands on the 2008 box, but it did not fix the problem.
    • Since then I have disabled, and re-enabled ipv6 on the 2008 box.  I have installed ipv6 on the 2003 boxes.
    • I have turned on the file and printer sharing on the 2008 box.
    • In the "Network" dialog box (Start>Network), the only computer that shows is my vista machine.
    • It is interesting to note that the network drive file share/network resources to that vista box are SUPER speedy.

I'm really not sure what else to do.  I cannot believe no one else is seeing this same behavior.  Does everyone have to run those netsh commands on their vista boxes?  Didn't everyone have the problem when they applied SP2 to their 2003 boxes?

As I said in my previous post I really want to work with and use windows server 2008.  I do need it to access other network resources...

Thanks again,

Spencer

Thursday, November 1, 2007 7:29 PM
  • Spencer,

I am so sorry to hear your problem. I understand at certain point it gets really frustrating when the administrator finds it difficult to fix certain network issues.

I would want to know the following:

How many computers do you have in your network?

What are the OS on these machines?

-> Please go to the control panel and see if you find anything listed under Problem Reports and Solutions

-> Please open up Administrative Tools -> Server Manager

-> Side by Side also Open up Event Viewer and see if you find something abnormal

-> Open up the Task Manager and try killing all the svchost.exe until they all restart

-> In the Server Manager and go to Lan Diagnostics under Reliability and Performance to see if you can identify something in an Administrative Perspective.

Do you have a network with any Group Policies running (GPO)? Then issue could directly relate to Policy based QoS

If none of the above work. Please remove the server 2008 from the domain, change everything to default (i.e, ipv6) and then swap network cables, restart server and add to domain.

Please let me know if this fix works because I sense that there is either too much network traffic on a machine, or too much utilization of CPU memory by a process or network connectivity needs to be refreshed.

Most of the people I have supported had Windows Server 2003 but this is the first of this kind of a problem. But don't worry... when there is a highly sophisticated server operating system its always slower to synch with it in the beggining.

Cheers

John

Thursday, November 1, 2007 11:17 PM
  • John-

I am not with the 08 box at the moment so I can only give some info, but I wanted to answer some of your questions now.

This is a test environment and there are the (2) 03 R2 SP2 x64 boxes, (1) Vista Ultimate, (1) XP Pro SP2, and the 08 Box.  The (2) 03 Servers are running active directory and I have a .local domain/dns setup.

The 08 box is not part of the domain.  I have simply loaded server 08 and tried connecting to a network share.  Again no slowness to the vista box, only to the servers.

In terms of group policy, whatever the defauly policy is that is created when running dcrpomo is all I have setup in this test env.  I can re-load the 08 server again no prob, and see what happens again.  Would you want me to run the netsh commands, or no?  I believe after installing ipv6 on the 03 boxes, I un-installed.

I don't think there is too much network traffic there shouldn't be any.

I definitely am stumped.  I think when I get into the office tomorrow I will simply re-partition and format drives, install and then right away try to access the network share.  I still think it is interesting that the vista box works beautifully both in browsing network shares and showing up instantly in the "Network" box.  I almost think NOTHING is wrong with the 08 box and it has to do with whatever happened on my 03 box from SP2.................

Cheers Mate!

Spence

Thursday, November 1, 2007 11:41 PM
  •  

Let me know how it goes Spencer. Vista and WS08 are created using the same technology and usually running the netsh commands should help you out. Try the command and check again. No point in reformating everything and building it from scratch if its a minor problem. 

Cheers Mate Smile

John

Friday, November 2, 2007 6:16 PM
  •  

Hi Spencer,

Not sure if this will help you, I had exactly the same prob with Vista and Windows 2003 Server. I also tried this netsh commands and it did work tho I wasn't content with the solution. What I did was made sure that the QoS was running on my Windows machine and then delved into the network adapter properties on the Server and enabled QoS packet Tagging and voila...

Hope this will help you.

• Proposed as answer by Elkconsulting Wednesday, November 19, 2008 10:26 PM
    Thursday, November 29, 2007 12:14 AM
  • Hey Bonez Smile

I'm intrigued with your suggestion.  Are you saying that you made sure QoS was running on your Windows Server 2003 machine?  Or on the Vista machines?  Your post says "What I did was made sure that the QoS was running on my Windows machine and then delved into the network adapter properties on the Server and enabled QoS packet Tagging and voila..."

I can't tell if the "Windows Machine" is the server or the Vista machine.  Reading your close carefully it seems you imply that you are checking that QoS is running on the Vista machines, and then you are checking the NIC properties on the server to make sure QoS packet tagging is enabled.  Do you think this can be applied to my Windows Server 2008?

I will try some of this tonight.  Perhaps, something is not configured right on my W2K3R2SP2 and that's why I am having this problem.

Thanks for the help!

Spencer

Thursday, November 29, 2007 9:17 PM
  •  

Looking at the properties for the Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 machine, I see that I only have the following installed:

Client for Microsoft Networks

File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks

Internet Protocol

I do not have QoS or IPv6 installed.  Would this be part of my problem?

I don't know much about IPv6.  Not sure what to do... Smile

Thursday, November 29, 2007 10:21 PM
  • So it would seem that Bonez had the answer in a manner of speaking.  I didn't have to do anything with packet tagging, but I did install QoS on my Windows Server 2003 box and now the Windows Server 2008 box is able to browse network resources on the 2003 box lickity split.  I did not have to run the netsh commands.  I am betting that I could reverse those commands on my vista boxes and still be able to access the 03 box...

Thanks so much John and Bonez.

To be clear:  The solution was to make sure that QoS was installed on the 2003 box.

This could also be the answer for those having problems with Vista boxes being slow to talk to 03 boxes as well.

Friday, November 30, 2007 4:40 AM
  • Holy @#&% !

Thanks!

Exactly what I was looking for. Was facing this exact issue, network browsing as well as file access from my Win2k8 server to my Win2k3 R2 SP2 was slow. Installing QoS packet scheduler (on the Win2k3 server) fixed the problem.

It was infuriating. Win2k servers were browsing and accessing the Win2k3 server just fine... but the Win2k8 server would drag.

Should this be a kb article? Or is QoS installed on Win2k3 by default and most people won't run into this?

What really threw me off was that the only machine that had problem accessing the Win2k3 server was a Win2k8 server. Any ideas why?

Again, thanks guys, this post was a life/hair/sanity savior.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 10:37 PM
  • Worked for me too after enabling QoS on the windows 2003 box.

Thanks !
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 4:23 PM
  • Installing QoS on the 2003 Server helped me, too! OMG, I'm so happy now!

Monday, May 3, 2010 1:38 PM
  • Simple installing QoS service on the NIC solved the problem.... Microsoft... bah
    Friday, March 25, 2011 10:08 AM
  • Thank you, install QOS service on NIC on Server 2003 fixed the slooowness:)
    Monday, September 19, 2011 6:37 PM
  • Looking back at old threads, it's great to see this is still helpful to people 4 years later!

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 5:06 AM