Winword error RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I get the following application error in Winword.exe:
    The instruction at "0x074e3ded" referenced memory at "0x07553560". The memory could not be "read".

Strange enough the error usually appears when we close outlook, in the process explorer I see that the process of Outlook is closed,
    then after a few seconds the error appears, press OK and then the process Winword closes.

Windows XP Version 5.1 SP3 with Office 2003 SP3.
    Word,exe in DEP exception list did not work
    Repair the installation through Add/Remove Programs did not work

This application error accurse on many pc's.
    There is no event registrar in the eventviewer.

Is there a way to find out why this error accurs and how to solve this problem?

Kind regards.

Kind regards.
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 8:19 AM

Answers

• I searched those errors and didn't see any hits that would help us on your issue.

Without that, I know that sometimes when you see a similar crash when closing Outlook, it can be when your .NET Framework is out of date.

Try installing .NET Framework 4.0 from http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/netframework/aa569263.aspx

If that doesn't work, can you tell me when this started happening?  Did you install an update?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thanks!
    Adrian
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 7:58 PM
  • I understand, this is part of the article I sent you that says it's also available on WSUS:

The .NET Framework 4 and the .NET Framework 4 Client Profile are available on Windows Update (WU) and on Windows Server Update Service (WSUS). Specifically, the .NET Framework 4 Client Profile is released as a recommended update that may be installed automatically on Windows Vista and Windows 7. The Client Profile is released as an optional update for Windows XP. In Windows XP, you must manually run WU and select the .NET Framework 4 Client Profile.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thanks!
    Adrian

• Marked as answer by Jennifer Zhan Thursday, December 9, 2010 6:20 AM
    Friday, December 3, 2010 4:48 PM

All replies

• I searched those errors and didn't see any hits that would help us on your issue.

Without that, I know that sometimes when you see a similar crash when closing Outlook, it can be when your .NET Framework is out of date.

Try installing .NET Framework 4.0 from http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/netframework/aa569263.aspx

If that doesn't work, can you tell me when this started happening?  Did you install an update?

Thanks!
    Adrian

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 7:58 PM

Thank you for your reply Adrian.

I've installed .NET Framework 4.0, I will check the following days if the problem is solved.
    Unfortunately I can't tell you any information when this error started and if the problem started wth an update!

Thursday, December 2, 2010 9:46 AM
  • Other question Adrian, is't possible to install .NET Framework through Windows Server Update Services?

Kind regards.
    Friday, December 3, 2010 10:29 AM
  • Yes, it is according to this KB Article:

982670 The .NET Framework 4 Client Profile is available on Windows Update
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;982670

How is the testing going?

Thanks!
    Adrian

Friday, December 3, 2010 3:49 PM
  • Testing is going good, until now no more errors.
    I will install the .NET 4 client on 1 more PC and test it again.

I don't use Windows Update on all my client but WSUS.
    Is't is possible through WSUS?

Kind regards.
    Friday, December 3, 2010 4:45 PM
  • I understand, this is part of the article I sent you that says it's also available on WSUS:

The .NET Framework 4 and the .NET Framework 4 Client Profile are available on Windows Update (WU) and on Windows Server Update Service (WSUS). Specifically, the .NET Framework 4 Client Profile is released as a recommended update that may be installed automatically on Windows Vista and Windows 7. The Client Profile is released as an optional update for Windows XP. In Windows XP, you must manually run WU and select the .NET Framework 4 Client Profile.

Thanks!
    Adrian

• Marked as answer by Jennifer Zhan Thursday, December 9, 2010 6:20 AM
    Friday, December 3, 2010 4:48 PM
  • My apology, did not read the article because you wrote Windows Update I assumpt that it was not for WSUS
    Kind regards.
    Friday, December 3, 2010 4:55 PM
  • Testing is going good, until now no more errors.
    I will install the .NET 4 client on 1 more PC and test it again.

I don't use Windows Update on all my client but WSUS.
    Is't is possible through WSUS?

Kind regards.

I checked with the team that worked on this WU release, they tell me this update can be found under "Feature Pack" classification (since it is a new release and does not replace any earlier release).

Also, in certain cases the update will not be offered - this will happen if the customer has a pre-release version of the .NET Framework 4 (beta or RC) installed or if they have blocked the .NET Framework 4 by installing a blocker registry key as described here:support.microsoft.com/.../982320.

Kind regards.
    Thursday, December 9, 2010 2:51 PM