Question about SCS vs. Streaming via ConfigMgr RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We're using Citrix based Terminalservers with an Golden Image. The App-V Client is included in the Golden Image, but no app-v packages. The App-V Packages are deployed to the worker servers (provisioned) and are getting installed after every reboot. This approach gives us some flexibility / freedom with our application deployment.

Currently we're using App-V 4.6 and the App-V Packages are download ans installed every time after the provisioned server reboots via Configuration Manager 2012 R2 as i mentioned. I read that with App-V 5 there are some new things, espacially Streaming and Shared Content Store.

In fact i have the following questions.

• Should i enable shared content store mode in the app-v client in my golden image? Does it bring any benefit to the todays method? (Download and cache all packages locally)
    • What is the difference between the option "Stream content from distribution point" in the deployment type of the app-v package and enabling shared content store mode?

Thank you very much!

• Edited by eXpress48 Friday, May 30, 2014 11:28 AM
    Friday, May 30, 2014 11:26 AM

Answers

• Hello,

If you enable SCS and use the download and cache locally option, the packages will still execute from local cache.

If you enable SCS and use stream from DP option, it means that the package will be loaded into memory from the DP and only pointers will be placed on the disk. The benefit is that no local disk-space is used on the server.

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

• Marked as answer by eXpress48 Friday, May 30, 2014 1:17 PM
    Friday, May 30, 2014 12:55 PM