iOS/Safari user agent for forms based auth instead of integrated RRS feed

• Question

• How would I go about adding a user agent or something so that the Safari browsers get forms based authentication instead of integrated? Currently I have just Mozilla added to the SupportedUserAgents but that forces Safari to also use integrated auth and were having problems with systems not on our domain.
    Tuesday, December 1, 2015 3:24 PM

Answers

• It all depends on what user agent the browser client is sending. If the client showed up with Mozilla/5.0 in its user agent then there is no "fall back".

Maybe you can try something different. Instead on adding Mozilla/5.0 to the list of supported user agent, add the following:

"Mozilla/5.0 (Windows"

This will enable WIA for Firefox, Chrome and IE on Windows and not for other platforms... It seems that Safari is starting with "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh". Would that do the trick for you?

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 8:31 PM

All replies

• It depends on what user agent the client is sending... So If Safari is sending Mozilla/5.0 it will be considered supported for Windows Integrated Authentication. It seems that Safari is sending something like this:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/46.0.2490.80 Safari/537.36 Kinza/2.7.0

Which means that it will be caught as a supported browser. And because the Safari string comes in the middle, we cannot really do anything... Unless we can use something else in the begging of the user agent string (such as the OS for example, if your Safari always come with the same OS signature, maybe we can tweak something...If you manage those devices having Safari browsers, maybe you can change the user agent on those? Do you mind copy/pasting what is the current user agent string of your Safari users? (If you want to find out, there are multiple sites which will tell you: http://www.bing.com/search?q=show+my+user+agent )

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 5:42 PM
  • Any idea why a device like an iPad that can't do windows integrated doesn't fall back to forms based? It just gives an error that says authentication failed without allowing me to enter credentials? The weird thing is if I open a browser on the iPad it works fine but its inside an app that uses a webview it gives this problem. Outside of the network if you hit the proxy server that only has forms based auth then it works fine as well.
    Wednesday, December 2, 2015 5:50 PM
  • It all depends on what user agent the browser client is sending. If the client showed up with Mozilla/5.0 in its user agent then there is no "fall back".

Maybe you can try something different. Instead on adding Mozilla/5.0 to the list of supported user agent, add the following:

"Mozilla/5.0 (Windows"

This will enable WIA for Firefox, Chrome and IE on Windows and not for other platforms... It seems that Safari is starting with "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh". Would that do the trick for you?

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 8:31 PM
  • Any update on this?

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 9:05 PM
  • Yes I was able to resolve my issue by adding the windows part, I didn't know you could just use the actual string from the browsers. Thanks so much for your help!
    Thursday, December 17, 2015 1:13 PM
  • Excellent! Thank you for letting us know!

Monday, December 21, 2015 3:23 AM
  • This is an older thread but it just saved me from a lot of work and research. I had no idea so many user agents started with Mozilla 5.0. Thank you!

____________ Kyle

Thursday, May 18, 2017 8:30 PM