none
Hyper-V 2019 Newbie Questions RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am trying out Hyper-v to compare to KVM.  I installed a bare-metal server with the free Hyper-V 2019.  It is not on any domain and it has a working IP address.  I am able to RDP into it.  I have a Windows 10 desktop to manage it.  I cannot seem to get the Hyper-v manager from windows 10 to connect to it.  What are the exact steps that are needed?  I have created a guest vm on my desktop and the hyper-v manager can connect to and manage it just fine.  Help would be greatly appreciated!

Tuesday, November 5, 2019 8:09 PM

All replies

• Thanks for the reply.  I tried the suggestions and here is what I got:

The operation on computer 'computername' failed:

WinRM cannot complete the operation.  Verify that the specified computer name is valid, that the computer is accessible over the network, and that a firewall exception for the WinRM service is enabled and allows access from this computer.  By default, the WinRM firewall exception for public profiles limits access to remote computers within the same local subnet.

Remember, i am able to rdp to that computer, so i know that i have connectivity.

Tuesday, November 5, 2019 8:54 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for posting in forum!

1.Make sure your network connection location is set to private.  If it is not set to private, the above error may occur.

2.In order to determine the cause of the problem , please help us to check the eventlog.

If event ID 138 occurred, please following the following link and reset the setting: https://www.ldap389.info/en/2011/04/14/the-winrm-client-cannot-complete-the-operation-within-the-time-specified/

Hope this can help you. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Lily Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 6, 2019 9:01 AM
  • Thank you for the suggestion Lily.  My windows 10 desktop is a corporate one that is signed into a domain.  The Hyper-V server is experimental and is stand-alone (not signed into a domain).  Are you saying that my situation is not allowed or supported?
    Wednesday, November 6, 2019 2:48 PM
  • Your environment is supported, but it is not a trivial thing to set up.  It is very simple to set up if the Hyper-V Server is part of the domain.  By not being in the domain, you are dealing with two security environments and it takes a fair bit to set that up to allow for management across the environment.

Are you performing the WinRM command from the console of the Hyper-V server or are you trying to execute it remotely.

tim

Wednesday, November 6, 2019 3:17 PM
  • Hi Tim and thanks for jumping in to help.  I am using MSTSC.exe to get into the Hyper-V server.  I then run all commands from the powershell/cmd prompts on the server itself.  It is confusing to figure out what is implemented on my desktop versus the Hyper-V server itself.
    Wednesday, November 6, 2019 4:27 PM
  • Is the end goal to manage the Hyper-V server outside the bounds of your domain?  As I stated, it is possible to get it configured as a non-domain joined system, but it is designed to be easily integrated into a 'common' environment.  You have already seen that you can easily manage it from a non-domain OS, and it is similarly easy to manage from a domain-joined environment.  I am just wondering if we will debugging your particular issue for something that you do not plan on implementing.

WinRM on the Hyper-V host is critical.  If it is not executing properly on the Hyper-V Server console (which you can remote into), that needs to be debugged first.

tim

Thursday, November 7, 2019 2:54 PM
  • The end goal is to get the Hyper-V server on the domain.  At my org, it is a 6 to 8 week process and we didn't want to go that direction until we were sure that it would satisfy our criteria.  I just want to get it going quickly with a proof of concept.
    Thursday, November 7, 2019 7:16 PM
  • Hi,

1. Please check if Winrm services on Windows 10 and  Hyper-V 2019 are running.
    2. Please turn off firewalls on Windows 10 and  Hyper-V 2019.
    3. Run “winrm quickconfig” cmdlet in PowerShell. This will correct any issues found automatically, such as the LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy, and you are ready to test again.
    4. We can use the following command in PowerShell to check this setting:

netsh winhttp show proxy

If this proxy server is that expired proxy server, please try to configure a new proxy server for WinRM or we can reset this setting using this command:

netsh winhttp reset proxy

If this issue persists after resetting, please check whether there is any Event log in Event Viewer about this issue and post them.

Hope this can help you. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Lily Yang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 9:09 AM
  • It appears as though it is a firewall configuration issue on the Hyper-V server.  I went ahead and ran:

Set-NetFirewallProfile -Profile Domain,Public,Private -Enabled False

I was then able to connect.  Which specific firewall feature should i check to see if it is correct rather than just turning the whole firewall off?

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 9:02 PM
  • Hi,

Please make sure there is no firewall for port 5985 for HTTP, and/or 5986 for HTTPS.

Best Regards,

Lily Yang

Thursday, November 14, 2019 2:09 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. 

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Lily

Monday, November 18, 2019 1:41 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved? 

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,

Lily

2 hours 15 minutes ago