Vista Pricing for beta testers RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi All,

I am using Visa ultimate at work and home and now I liked its features. It took me many months before I tweak things, send tons of bugs to MS and find some solutions myself. Now my vista PC is all set and working in great shape with Office 2007 and many other applications...(I upgraded almost every major component of my PC ... to see what is best!)

I am curious after RC1 validity ends...how much I should pay to keep Vista on my personal computer!!

Any one has any clue? I really don't want to go back to XP (and also don't want to pay retail $400 for ultimate!!)

Although I will buy my new PCs with Vista I don't know if it will be ultimate!

Rao

Thursday, November 2, 2006 2:49 PM

Answers

• As Microsoft followed in it's strategy deploying Windows Server 2003, they might release a 180 days [I'm sure it won't be like that and MUST be ONLY 30 days] evaluation copy of Windows Vista Ultimate (as Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition) or Windows XP x64 Professional Edition {This one was evaluation for 30 days only}.

But I suppose Microsoft not to going do this step as Windows Server 2003 was easy to get hacked to disable evaluation timer and remove "Evaluation Copy" tags by replacing 2 files in source before setup process while Microsoft offered users a unique product key for setup and activation and that turned the evaluation copy to full original licenced copy!

I don't think they will re-do this step except source files are hard coded in WLM pack in source DVD.

Good luck

Thursday, November 2, 2006 7:08 PM

All replies

• As Microsoft followed in it's strategy deploying Windows Server 2003, they might release a 180 days [I'm sure it won't be like that and MUST be ONLY 30 days] evaluation copy of Windows Vista Ultimate (as Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition) or Windows XP x64 Professional Edition {This one was evaluation for 30 days only}.

But I suppose Microsoft not to going do this step as Windows Server 2003 was easy to get hacked to disable evaluation timer and remove "Evaluation Copy" tags by replacing 2 files in source before setup process while Microsoft offered users a unique product key for setup and activation and that turned the evaluation copy to full original licenced copy!

I don't think they will re-do this step except source files are hard coded in WLM pack in source DVD.

Good luck

Thursday, November 2, 2006 7:08 PM
  • I never heared about any discounts for beta-testers during all my 11 years Windows beta-testing. Usually beta-testers get a complimentary box but I suppose you are not a beta-tester but a CPP user (othervise you'd ask your question in another place).

You may save some money by buying an upgrade Vista box or buying an upgrade Home Basic ($99 as I remember) and then using Anytime Upgrade.

Friday, November 3, 2006 12:39 PM
  •  

Yes, beta testers get a nice box (some time with Bill gates signature) of what they tested!

What about CPP or unmanaged beta testers? This is first time I tried a CPP/unmanaged beta

Bim

Friday, November 3, 2006 3:36 PM
  • CPP participants may buy Vista as any other user. Unmanaged beta-testers? I don't understand you.
    Tuesday, November 7, 2006 2:29 PM
  •  

Before CPP.... Microsoft release software to public (say Beta 2 of Vista).

Managed (or regular) Beta testers and these unmanaged testers work with same copy (to start with).

Regular beta testers work directly with MS team (use close forums) whereas unmanaged testers get access to open forums such as this....

Bim

Tuesday, November 7, 2006 4:49 PM
  • Testing means finding and reporting bugs for fixing. If someone does not send bug reports he is not tester because he not test but evaluate program for his own purposes.
    Tuesday, November 7, 2006 6:32 PM