HP 6200C Scanner RRS feed

• Question

• No drivers, refuses to intall.

Any suggestions?

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 10:15 PM

All replies

• I am having the same problem installing my HP ScanJet 6200C

I have tried to use the HP drivers for Win XP but Vista says there is a file missing then stops the process. If I knew what file was missing I could search for it.

I am enjoying Vista other than this glitch

Sunday, June 25, 2006 4:25 PM
  • Most likely its the inf file in the drv folder of the original cd which is compressed. But even that will lead you nowhere, I"ved tried that. Forget about HP supporting old stuff. The 6200C was always a problem using the USB port and they never wanted to solve the problem other than releasing a new scanner. I remember when it was released, it screwed up badly W2K where you had to re-install the OS after installing HP's cdrom. I spent hours on the phone with HP to get nowhere.
    Vista seems like ok but the lack of drivers is a problem for upgrading. Unless you have very recent hardware, its a problem. Think about it, even have to press F6 for Intel drivers for Raid/S-ATA is a problem which should have been solved long time ago considering the standardization of Intel or the Wintel saying. I thought that after al these years, Microsoft would do it right. Leaves us pending for some highly paid hardware only some while ago. Not very impressed considering the years spent on developing this new OS but its a change no doubt. For what this OS is going to cost, I question if I also have to change some hardware.

There is many things not working ok with Vista but I also understand its Beta. We"ll see.
    Monday, June 26, 2006 12:12 AM
  • In Vmware, I've tried my HP 6200C scanner with Vista RC1 and now Vista RTM, and its having none of it.

This is really annoying, bearing in mind that XP supported the scanner out of the box, with no HP software or drivers required.

There is nothing wrong with the scanner, and in the scheme of things, its not that old.  Apparently Vista supports the HP Laserjet 4 printer, which is significantly older than my scanner.

Good thing I tested using the VM, rather than go straight for a live install!

Friday, February 2, 2007 3:04 PM
  • I was able to get my HP 6200c scanner to work under Windows Vista Ultimate by using VueScan 8.4.14, available from Hamrick Software.  VueScan includes its own scanner driver.  With the assistance of the product's author, some fussing was required to get it to work ... installing HP's XP drivers for the scanner first, then unistalling them, etc.  I did not go through a straightforward efficient series of installation steps, so I cannot provide a set here.  But eventually I did get it to work.  $40 for this product (which also offers a very good set of scanning control features, and can be used with multiple scanners per license) certainly beats the cost and nuisance of replacing a perfectly good scanner.

David A. Gilmour
    Wednesday, March 14, 2007 12:58 PM
  • I found Vuescan too.

Excellent piece of software.  It worked 1st time with my 6200C, without needing to install the HP drivers.

The only issues I have found so far is that the button on the scanner has no effect now, and the software doesn't seem to be able to save the output file to a network location, either using mapped drive or UNC path locations.  I have to save it locally, then copy across to the network location.

Overall very happy with it though, and completely agree that it is better than throwing out a perfectly good sheet feed scanner.

Rob

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 6:24 PM
  • I found a better, cheaper, and faster solution -- I upgrade Vista to Fedora Linux 8. Installed in a few minutes and everything worked out of the box; old devices and new ones.

Saturday, January 19, 2008 4:39 PM
  • thanks all for the information.  i can't agree more.  i am not against buying new hardware when needed. matter of fact, i had to in order to run Vista smoothly.  the problem is that HP (and Olympus as well) offers nothing innovatively new in this scanner world these days.  whether i use the older scanner or the new ones (on the same price range of course), there is no obvious improvement to justify the cost, other than creating more landfill.  i rather them either creating a paid service to get the newer driver for registered owners on "old" product or like Hamrick Software to extend the use life of a perfectly fine equipments.  Since i still have another XP machine laying around, i am going to use that for now, but will go to Hamrick later when XP is obsolete. - terry

Thursday, January 31, 2008 12:15 AM
  • I've tried installing VueScan to work with my ScanJet 6200c.  When I start VueScan it says "no scanner was found".  It suggests I turn on the scanner.  The ScanJet doesn't have a power switch and the front button doesn't work without the HP software running on a computer.  Can anyone tell me how to get VueScan to work the my 6200c?

Thanks.

Sunday, April 13, 2008 12:19 PM
  • Thanks friend!!  The Hamrick Software worked like a char with no trouble what so ever..  HP and Microsoft should be ashamed.  Thanks for your posting

Oree A. McKenzie

Monday, July 14, 2008 8:38 PM