none
Merging projects causes MS Project to crash RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a weird issue with merging two projects in MS Project 2016 (x64). I created a very small test project with just four tasks (please excuse the German UI):

I then saved this project as an MPP file and also as an XML file. After changing the name of the first task in the XML file (using Notepad++) and saving the file I opened MS Project again and chose File -> Open, selected the XML file, selected "merge projects" and then... MS Project crashes. Everytime. However, I am able to open the XML file as a new project perfectly, so the XML file is not broken.

Am I doing something wrong here or is it a known bug that the merge feature is broken?

Thanks in advance,

Eric

Thursday, July 14, 2016 3:52 PM

Answers

• With a fully updated Project 2016 the merge works for me, no crash.

1. I created 4 tasks in a new file, Duration 2d, all linked. saved.
    2. Saved as .mpp
    3. Saved as .xml
    4. changed all file names and durations
    5. Opened .xml file and data restored, no crash.

You may need to progressively simplify the tasks to see if one particular piece of data is the problem. Make sure you do have latest updates.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Saturday, July 16, 2016 8:16 PM

All replies

• Eric,

Unfortunately I don't have Project 2016 so I can't test for this issue but I will suggest that you make sure you have the latest Cumulative Update which is July 2016. The easiest way to do that is to run Windows Update.

John

Thursday, July 14, 2016 9:04 PM
  • Hi John,

thanks for your answer. Windows Update shows no available updates for my machine, so everything should be up to date.

Anyway, I remember I had the same problem with Project 2013 (x86) in the past, but back then I blamed it on my much more complicated project plan. Can you try this feature in your version of MS Project for me, please?

Thanks,

Eric

Friday, July 15, 2016 7:00 AM
  • Eric,

I'm not sure it will help but I have Project 2010 Pro (x86) fully updated. I duplicated your test sequence and the modified XML file merged with no problems. The only discernible difference is that it changed the two summary tasks to manually scheduled.

I can ask someone who does have Project 2016 to see if they see an issue. I'll either respond back or he may jump into this thread directly.

John

Friday, July 15, 2016 3:03 PM
  • With a fully updated Project 2016 the merge works for me, no crash.

1. I created 4 tasks in a new file, Duration 2d, all linked. saved.
    2. Saved as .mpp
    3. Saved as .xml
    4. changed all file names and durations
    5. Opened .xml file and data restored, no crash.

You may need to progressively simplify the tasks to see if one particular piece of data is the problem. Make sure you do have latest updates.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Saturday, July 16, 2016 8:16 PM
  • Weirdly, I couldn't reproduce the problem with a newly created project file today. Maybe this was just a hiccup... Marking this as answered. Thanks for your extensive testing!

Monday, July 18, 2016 7:34 AM