Sharepoint Timer Service Recycle Job failed RRS feed

• Question

• SharePoint Timer Service Recycle Job failed on the Application server hosting the CA. It was successful on the WFE's. We have a 3 server farm. SharePoint 2010

Sharepoint Error:

Job Title

Timer Service Recycle

Server

prd-xxx-xx

Web Application

Content Database

Status

Failed

Completed

8/3/2016 6:10 AM

Duration (hh:mm:ss)

0:10:30

Error Message

This operation uses the SharePoint Administration service (spadminV4), which could not be contacted. If the service is stopped or disabled, start it and try the operation again.

Event Viewer Error:

Event ID 6398

The Execute method of job definition Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPTimerRecycleJobDefinition (ID 000000000000000000) threw an exception. More information is included below.

This operation uses the SharePoint Administration service (spadminV4), which could not be contacted.  If the service is stopped or disabled, start it and try the operation again.

-----------------

Both the SharePoint Administration service and SharePoint Timer service are started and running. SharePoint Administration service uses Local System Account and SharePoint Timer use Service account. Working fine on the WFE's and fails on the APP server.

CEIP is turned off on the all web app's and job is disabled too. Tried changing the Timer Service Recycle schedule to a different time 2:00 AM instead of 6:00 AM but still the job failed. No windows updates either. Have not tried restarting the timer service.

Please let me know if anyone else faced this problem and if yes, what would be the proposed solution for this error.

Thanks

Shamji

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 8:47 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please make sure SharePoint Administration service account is in the Administrators group on the local computer.

Please try to restart timer service and SharePoint Administration service manually, then run the Timer Service Recycle job to test whether the issue occurs.

If the Timer Service Recycle job still failed, please provide detailed error message in ULS logs.

ULS Viewer is a good tool to check the ULS logs:

https://ulsviewer.codeplex.com/

Thanks,

Dean Wang

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Victoria Xia Wednesday, August 31, 2016 9:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by Victoria Xia Monday, September 5, 2016 11:28 AM
    Thursday, August 4, 2016 9:22 AM
  • Fair amount of really bad information in this thread.

The SharePoint Administration Service (SPAdminV4) MUST run as Local System. This is an absolute requirement. Do not change this.

The SharePoint Timer Service account (SPTimerV4) does NOT need to be a Local Administrator. Do not change this unless you have a good reason to do so (e.g. running the User Profile Sync Service).

This error isn't necessarily an *error* as certain timer jobs cannot be serialized (or are not serialized timer jobs). This prevents the Timer Service recycle job from occurring. If this is happening multiple days in a row, find out what jobs are running during the recycle's attempted time period (usually ULS can give you hints as to what jobs caused it to block the recycle). If you have any custom timer jobs, make sure they're serializable so SharePoint is able to pause their execution during the recycle process.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Proposed as answer by Dean_Wang Thursday, August 11, 2016 12:12 PM
    Thursday, August 4, 2016 6:35 PM
  • Hello All,

My apologies I could not get back to this post since I had all my time spent fixing this issue.

As advised by the members of this forum,

I restarted the timer service (SPTimerV4) and it temporarily fixed the issue. The day after the timer service restart, there was a new issue with a custom timer job and it was stuck at "pausing" state and timer service recycle job failed again but this time with an error message that it failed due to custom timer job Job still running.

This job failed due to a infinite loop and we were able to fix the code and the custom timer job was successful.

Thank you Trevor Seward for quickly pointing out the issue. Thank you Waqas Sarwar and Dean Wang for your advise on timer service restart, this really helped me get to the next level to narrow it down to the actual issue.

Regards

Shamji

• Proposed as answer by Dean_Wang Wednesday, August 24, 2016 7:37 AM
    Thursday, August 18, 2016 3:00 PM

All replies

• try to restart it manually.

Sometime it fix the problem, If not then give you the error why it is failing.

Please remember to mark your question as answered &Vote helpful,if this solves/helps your problem. ****************************************************************************************** Thanks -WS MCITP(SharePoint 2010, 2013) Blog: http://krossfarm.com

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 9:21 PM
  • Hello

From the messages which you provided, since SharePoint Administration Service users Local System Account, it works fine in WFE (CA), if it is available in Application Server, you need to run it using Domain User not Local System Account. 

Best Regards

Thursday, August 4, 2016 2:22 AM
  • Hi,

Please make sure SharePoint Administration service account is in the Administrators group on the local computer.

Please try to restart timer service and SharePoint Administration service manually, then run the Timer Service Recycle job to test whether the issue occurs.

If the Timer Service Recycle job still failed, please provide detailed error message in ULS logs.

ULS Viewer is a good tool to check the ULS logs:

https://ulsviewer.codeplex.com/

Thanks,

Dean Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Victoria Xia Wednesday, August 31, 2016 9:40 AM
    Thursday, August 4, 2016 9:22 AM
  • Yes, I will try to restart the timer service and see if it fixes the problem.

Thanks

Shamji

Thursday, August 4, 2016 5:47 PM
  • Yes, I will restart the timer service manually and see if fixes the timer service recycle job. Starting the SP administration service manually would it not disconnect the server from the configdb sql if I do a restart of this service?

Thanks

Shamji

Thursday, August 4, 2016 6:00 PM
  • Fair amount of really bad information in this thread.

The SharePoint Administration Service (SPAdminV4) MUST run as Local System. This is an absolute requirement. Do not change this.

The SharePoint Timer Service account (SPTimerV4) does NOT need to be a Local Administrator. Do not change this unless you have a good reason to do so (e.g. running the User Profile Sync Service).

This error isn't necessarily an *error* as certain timer jobs cannot be serialized (or are not serialized timer jobs). This prevents the Timer Service recycle job from occurring. If this is happening multiple days in a row, find out what jobs are running during the recycle's attempted time period (usually ULS can give you hints as to what jobs caused it to block the recycle). If you have any custom timer jobs, make sure they're serializable so SharePoint is able to pause their execution during the recycle process.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Proposed as answer by Dean_Wang Thursday, August 11, 2016 12:12 PM
    Thursday, August 4, 2016 6:35 PM
  • Hello All,

My apologies I could not get back to this post since I had all my time spent fixing this issue.

As advised by the members of this forum,

I restarted the timer service (SPTimerV4) and it temporarily fixed the issue. The day after the timer service restart, there was a new issue with a custom timer job and it was stuck at "pausing" state and timer service recycle job failed again but this time with an error message that it failed due to custom timer job Job still running.

This job failed due to a infinite loop and we were able to fix the code and the custom timer job was successful.

Thank you Trevor Seward for quickly pointing out the issue. Thank you Waqas Sarwar and Dean Wang for your advise on timer service restart, this really helped me get to the next level to narrow it down to the actual issue.

Regards

Shamji

• Proposed as answer by Dean_Wang Wednesday, August 24, 2016 7:37 AM
    Thursday, August 18, 2016 3:00 PM
  • Hi,

If our replies are helpful to you, you can mark as answer.

Thanks,

Dean Wang

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 7:38 AM