Windows disc protection turning itself off RRS feed

• Question

• I am running an internet cafe with 20 PC all XP and SteadyState and am finding that Disc Protection is regularly turning itself off and several machine, Anyone know why??
    Monday, September 7, 2009 5:47 AM

Answers

• Hi Alan, have you cold booted the computer, turned off the computer by pressing the power button or encountered power failure? If this is the case, Windows Disk Protection may turn off.

You can also try to turn it back on. If you encounter any error, please let me know.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Monday, September 14, 2009 4:10 AM
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 9:00 AM

All replies

• Hi Alan, have you cold booted the computer, turned off the computer by pressing the power button or encountered power failure? If this is the case, Windows Disk Protection may turn off.

You can also try to turn it back on. If you encounter any error, please let me know.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Monday, September 14, 2009 4:10 AM
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 9:00 AM
  • Hi here in Uganda we suffer many power failures, despite expensive UPS systems the power can just fail, so that seems to be the cause of the disc protection turning off. Is there any way to fix this problem and have disc protection always active even if power suddenly fails? Thanks Alan
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 5:37 PM
  • Indeed, when the system is not shut down normally, WDP reverts to "remove all changes at restart" because the disk is not guaranteed to be in a consistent state under those circumstances. This is by design.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 9:18 AM