none
enable USB drive RRS feed

• Question

• I need to enable flash drives for a limited user in XP using steady state. The drive won't show up in explorer, though I have no drives hidden in Steady State setup. Am I missing a setting somewhere?
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 6:49 PM

Answers

• Hi, does the issue occur on Administrator account? Based on my experience, Windows SteadyState will not block USB drive unless you enable the restriction "Prevent write access to USB storage devices" in "Set Computer Restrictions". If the option is not selected, the issue is most likely not caused by Windows SteadyState.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 7:16 AM

All replies

• Hi, does the issue occur on Administrator account? Based on my experience, Windows SteadyState will not block USB drive unless you enable the restriction "Prevent write access to USB storage devices" in "Set Computer Restrictions". If the option is not selected, the issue is most likely not caused by Windows SteadyState.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 7:16 AM
  • Thanks for the response. Turns out the problem only occurs when I use the front panel USB ports. Error message just says "problem occurred with USB". Using the back USB ports, no problems. I'll investigate further.
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 9:12 AM