none
New DPM 2010 installation RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

I am planning to impliment a DPM 2010 backup solution for my enviornment. It consists of 3 physical servers, 1 is a clone, 1 is a HP DL380 G5, and the last 1 is a HP DL360 G5. The DL380 is running Hyper-V Server 2008 R2, and the clone along with the DL360 is running Win2k8 R2 x64. The DL360 is our Primary Domain controller, and the clone is just used for storing our backup and running VMware server that is running a Win2k8 R2 VM with Virtual Machine Manager. The DL380 is our hypervisor, it's running 9 VMs.

My question is can I install DPM 2010 on the clone with VMware server running on it with only 1 VM running? It has well over 2.3TB of avaliable storage space. My reason for this is currently all of my servers are using WSB for their backup and saving these backups to the clone. Well unfortunately WSB doesn't work as well as NT backup did and will only store 1 days worth of backup to a remote location. Plus I am not comfortable using WSB to backup my Hyper-V server to a USB drive. If you need more info let me know.

Any advice?

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 9:06 PM

Answers

• Hi As per this technet article:

DPM is designed to run on a dedicated, single-purpose server. The DPM server should not be installed on any of the following:

• A computer on which the Application Server role is installed

• A computer that is a System Center Operations Manager management server

• A computer on which Exchange Server is running

• A computer that is a node of a cluster

However, with that out of the way, there is nothing preventing you from installing DPM on the clone system running VMWare server running.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 5:09 AM

All replies

• Hi As per this technet article:

DPM is designed to run on a dedicated, single-purpose server. The DPM server should not be installed on any of the following:

• A computer on which the Application Server role is installed

• A computer that is a System Center Operations Manager management server

• A computer on which Exchange Server is running

• A computer that is a node of a cluster

However, with that out of the way, there is nothing preventing you from installing DPM on the clone system running VMWare server running.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 5:09 AM
  • OK thanks.
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 1:54 PM