Vista does not initialise HDD RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

My external USB HDD is not initialised on my Vista laptop, version 6.0.6001.

I have followed the suggestions given by Arthur Xie in the 'Eternal HDD Issue posting'  from 'pedley and im-a-tryer' as I had exactly the the same problem and results as they did.

I had an additional 'pop up' with the message  'Logical Disc Manager - system cannot find the file specified'.  I could not assign a partition letter for the drive.

I have not created a dynamic volume and I also tried it on another Vista laptop with the same result.

I also tried with XP Pro and although the drive was detected in Device Manager it was not enumerated in Disk Management and therefore I did not have the the option to initialise the drive.

I hope that someone can throw some light on how I can resolve my problem.

Thanks in advance.

VICTIC
    Friday, March 13, 2009 6:02 AM

Answers

• Hi Victic,

May I know if the USB HDD worked before?

Since the disk cannot work properly one several computers, it can be a hardware issue. Generally, due to the complexity of this kind of issues and to avoid possible data losing risk, it is highly recommended that you contact some professional data recovery companies or your hard disk manufacturer for further recovery.

Hope the issue can be resolved soon. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Monday, March 16, 2009 11:51 AM