Videos being converted from MP4 to 3GP RRS feed

• Question

• I have a customer that I just installed new computer for. He is running Windows 7 Pro, and Office 2013. We are having a problem with his Outlook 2013. When he records a video on his phone, then Emails it to his computer, His phone records it as MP4, but on his computer, it shows as a 3GP file. If he emails it to me (which I also have Outlook 2013, but my E-mail is hosted on Office 365, it shows up as a MP4 file. His wife has Outlook 2010, and when he emails her a video, it shows as MP4. When I setup the new computer, I did use Windows Easy Transfer to transfer everything, including Outlook account information and PST file over from his Windows XP computer.

Any idea on the problem, and a resolution, please?

Thanks

Friday, September 19, 2014 5:02 PM

Answers

• I thought that the Activation had completed. The customer had a pop-up box that said that he needed to activate Microsoft Office. As soon as he Activated, the videos showed up in the proper format.

Thank you for your help.

Thursday, September 25, 2014 3:26 PM

All replies

• Hi

If you actually look at the properties is it an MP4 file or 3GP?

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, September 19, 2014 6:15 PM
  • If you look at the properties of the file, yes, it is a 3GP file both in Outlook, and when you save it to the computer, outside of Outlook.
    Friday, September 19, 2014 6:26 PM
  • Hi,

Please ask him to check on the web-based mail portal first and see what's the format of the video file.

If it shows as a 3GP file on the web-based mail portal, which means the video has already been converted before it reaches his Outlook client. Then there is nothing here involving Outlook.

If it still shows as MP4 format there, then the conversion occured after it arrived at the client. There might be an issue on the client side. It could be an add-in or a background program that is interfering with Outlook.

Please try below steps to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Launch Outlook in safe mode and check result: Press Win + R and type "outlook.exe /safe" in the blank box, then press Enter.
    2. Perform a clean boot in Windows to determine whether background programs are interfering with your game or program: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Forum Support

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here
    Monday, September 22, 2014 3:17 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if above information was helpful. Please mark it as answers if it helps, and feel free to let us know if you would like further assistance.

Thanks,

Ethan Hua

Forum Support

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here
    Thursday, September 25, 2014 1:54 AM
  • I thought that the Activation had completed. The customer had a pop-up box that said that he needed to activate Microsoft Office. As soon as he Activated, the videos showed up in the proper format.

Thank you for your help.

Thursday, September 25, 2014 3:26 PM
  • Glad its working.

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, September 25, 2014 3:28 PM