Activation window keeps popping up RRS feed

• Question

• I have a new Dell that seems to have been pre-loaded with a Windows Store eval version of Office.  I removed it and installed our licensed version of Office 2016 Pro Plus.  The license is activated but the activation window keeps popping up.   This started occurring only after updating Office from Windows update.

For some reason the eval license won't go away, Office keeps asking to activate yet the MAK license is already activated:

PS C:\Windows\system32> cscript "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office16\OSPP.VBS" /dstatus
    Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.812
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

---Processing--------------------------
    ---------------------------------------
    PRODUCT ID: 00339-23042-81567-AA382
    SKU ID: c47456e3-265d-47b6-8ca0-c30abbd0ca36
    LICENSE NAME: Office 16, Office16ProPlusVL_MAK edition
    LICENSE DESCRIPTION: Office 16, RETAIL(MAK) channel
    LICENSE STATUS:  ---LICENSED---
    Last 5 characters of installed product key: XXXXX
    ---------------------------------------
    PRODUCT ID: 00200-70000-00000-AA864
    SKU ID: d7279dd0-e175-49fe-a623-8fc2fc00afc4
    LICENSE NAME: Office 16, Office16O365HomePremR_Grace edition
    LICENSE DESCRIPTION: Office 16, RETAIL(Grace) channel
    LICENSE STATUS:  ---OOB_GRACE---
    ERROR CODE: 0x4004F00C
    ERROR DESCRIPTION: The Software Licensing Service reported that the application is running within the valid grace period.
    REMAINING GRACE: 3 days  (4322 minute(s) before expiring)
    Last 5 characters of installed product key: XXXXX

I have ran the option with the /unpkey:XXXXX and rebooted and Office is still asking to install a key.

Does anyone know how this can be fixed?

Friday, February 16, 2018 5:24 PM

All replies

• Hi,

When do you get the pop up Window for activating? When start Office products?

Please provide the whole message for pop up window.

Then I suggest you refer to this support article:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/office-repeatedly-prompts-you-to-activate-on-a-new-pc-a9a6b05f-f6ce-4d1f-8d49-eb5007b64ba1?omkt=en-US&ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Please check if this will help you, any updates please let me know and I'm glad to help you.

Regards,

Emi

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, February 19, 2018 6:27 AM
  • Hi, 

Just checking in to see if the information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Regards,

Emi

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, February 22, 2018 2:15 AM
  • no, the registry has nothing to do with this.  I tried the solution to no avail

The problem is the pre-loaded Office applications seem to have been moved to the App store

What I have found is for whatever reason every Dell I am presented with recently has Office pre-loaded as a Mirosoft Store app.  I cannot remove it.  Every new account I add to these computers insists on hounding the user for an activation code and there are two offices.  I cannot for the life of me remove Office from the App store?

What gives, how can I offer Windows 10 with the licensed version of Office without burdening them with endless issues when they add new users to their computers?

• Proposed as answer by sbitcs Monday, June 11, 2018 4:59 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by sbitcs Monday, June 11, 2018 4:59 PM
    Monday, February 26, 2018 4:17 AM
  • I had the same issue.  Windows 10 with Office Standard 2016 MAK license (Volume License).  New Dell PC.  Dell preloaded the trial version of Office365.  We removed the preloaded Office 365 from the store via Apps & features (Windows 10 PC) and installed our volume license version.  Works until certain Windows Updates roll out causing Windows Activation popup for uninstalled retail version to return, interrupting access to Office products all together.

I Contacted Dell Support and was transferred to Microsoft Support, and 50 mins later finally landed in Microsoft Commercial Technical Support Team.  They had me open an elevated command prompt and change directory to the c:\program files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office16 (mine is 32 bit.  Users with 64 bit version of Office would change directory to c:\program files\Microsoft Office\Office16).

1. Type in cscript ospp.vbs /dstatus.

This will list the currently installed Office products.  In my situation I had both Office16StandardVL_MAK and Office160365HomePremR_Grace (last 5 of product key: KHGM9).  This shouldn't be there considering we uninstalled this application.  However, I wish I could say I am surprised.  (SIGH!)

IMPORTANT! - Note the last 5 characters of installed product for the Office16036HomePremR_Grace.  Mine was KHGM9 and will be needed in needed in step 2. 

2. type in Cscript ospp.vbs /unpkey:khgm9

If your product key was different, substitute the khgm9 with the characters noted in step one.

This removed the Office retail version and fixed the issue for us.  Hope this helps others.

• Proposed as answer by tektotket Monday, July 30, 2018 10:58 PM
    Monday, June 11, 2018 5:00 PM
  • Ran into same problem here also with Office 2016 we licensed separately on a new Dell + Windows 10 + pre-installed KHGM9 key slot.  The solution proposed by sbitcs fixed the problem in our case.
    Monday, July 30, 2018 11:25 PM
  • Thanks a million been trying to resolve this for months
    Monday, August 27, 2018 4:19 PM
  • Just make backup and then delete the following registry key:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\OEM

Tuesday, October 9, 2018 11:59 AM
  • Thank you!  Your solution worked perfectly.  
    Thursday, November 29, 2018 4:17 PM
  • Worked great!
    Thursday, January 31, 2019 4:22 PM
  • Hi, when I did dstatus, I got" Input Error: There is no file extension in "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office16\ospp.vbs\dstatus".

what is that mean? I have outlook 2016 installed and should show the license info. but it didn't. What to do to fix it?

Wednesday, July 10, 2019 7:42 PM
  • OMG Thank you so much for this, I have been chasing this answer for hours :-)
    Tuesday, February 25, 2020 1:58 PM
  • This is the answer. Thanks.
    Sunday, June 14, 2020 1:42 PM