none
AutoProtectInstances fails (ErrorID: 31224) RRS feed

• Question

• I have gotten this error for the last day which I hoped would eventually resolve itself:

Start-AutoProtection : [DB Instance] has recently been

migrated. You cannot migrate [DB Instance] again until the recovery points on the previous replica volume are available. (ID: 31224)

At C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin\AutoProtectInstances.ps1:10 char:21

+ Start-AutoProtection <<<<  -DPMServerName $DPMServerName -confirm:$false

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Start-AutoProtection], DlsExc

eption

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : 31224,Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.U

I.Cmdlet.StartAutoProtection

When I first saw it, I thought it must just be moving a partition from one disk to another, but at this point there is no disk IO happening and this appears to be blocking other database instances from being autoprotected.

Thursday, October 6, 2011 1:57 PM

Answers

All replies

• Do you have any inactive protection for the databases in that instance previously protected in a non-collocated group and are now trying to be protected on a collocated protection group? Are the databases that are attempting to be protected in that instance that are failing auto-protection being protected in another protection group such as SharePoint?

Those are the only things I can think of that might be causing the error you are seeing. You could removed the auto-protection option from the modify protection group and re-add to see if it allows you to add back in all databases in that instance.

Hope this helps.

Friday, October 7, 2011 12:06 AM
  • The database instance that is causing the error had been removed from protection and we are trying to re-add it to the same protection group it was in. The stop protection was done to start log shipping on that database. The protection group is collocated, but it is the same group it was removed from. There is no SharePoint in this environment.

Manually re-adding the database produces the same error.

Friday, October 7, 2011 1:09 PM
  • The answer ended up being here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff634206.aspx. The error message was different, but the error code and resolution were the same. This restriction is only a little annoying ;). 
    • Marked as answer by MattM6 Friday, October 7, 2011 2:05 PM
    Friday, October 7, 2011 2:04 PM
  • Alternate solution and explanation on Protect, Unprotect, Protect, Unprotect – Understanding how DPM 2010 retention works, See this BLOG:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2010/11/03/protect-unprotect-protect-unprotect-understanding-how-dpm-2010-retention-works.aspx?CommentPosted=true#commentmessage

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by MattM6 Monday, October 10, 2011 2:47 PM
    Friday, October 7, 2011 6:07 PM