How can I modify the default version in Sharepoint? RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to figure out if their is a way I could change the default version to a much earlier version. I understand "document version" can be modified to an earlier version, but I seem to be unable to do that to the sharepoint "default version". I know you can restore to a previous default version to the original version that was before the present version (i.e. 1.9 -> 1.8). I also understand that any changes made to the file will increase the default version. For example, I would like to change the "default version" from 1.9 to 1.1. How can I do this? Is their any way as an administrator? I've tried and searched every way and cannot find the answer. Is this even possible? Thanks!

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 3:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What have you tried already? I'm not running minor / draft versioning, but the standard way is to hover over the file name you are interested in and then click the drop down arrow to the far right. Select Version History for the list of versions, and hover over the date & time modified that you want to restore as the current version. Again, click the drop down arrow to the far right and select Restore.

Best wishes,

Eric

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 4:26 PM
  • Hello,

Yes, when I do that method, it restores the document to what it was before, but the "default version number" increases from 1.9 to now 1.10. I understand I could restore the document down to 1.1, for example, but then the "default version number" in sharepoint would increase to 1.11. I want to know how I can change this number down to 1.5, 1.4 or etc...

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 4:37 PM
  • Anything fellas? Please help!

Friday, October 7, 2011 1:30 PM
  • Hi,

Only two things I can personally think of, as I haven't ever tinkered with versionning like this before. Neither are probably ideal for you:

• Delete the later versions from your library. But that sort of defeats the purpose of version control. And I wouldn't be surprised if the next version created would be back up to 1.10 or 1.11 (or whatever).
    • Save the file under a new name and start the versionning over.

Hopefully someone else will have a better idea for you.

Eric

Friday, October 7, 2011 2:13 PM
  • Thanks! Good ideas, but not I guess... exceptable enough for a corporate wide format. I wish sharepoint could give me more control over settings and display properties.
    Friday, October 7, 2011 4:05 PM