App sequenced on Win7 with UAC on (just like client) won't run on client w/o UAC off RRS feed

• Question

• Any thoughts on where to look on this one?

I sequenced SnagIt 10 on Windows 7 with UAC configured as it would be on the client... then ran the app on the client and it failed to launch a program (snagpriv.exe)... I tried to highlight the app and "run as admin" and it still failed... BUT when I totally disabled UAC and rebooted, it worked perfectly...

I don't know why this would be happening when I sequenced it with the same UAC controls and I'm even more stumped that it wouldn't run with the elevated privileges.

Thought would be welcomed.

Chris

Friday, September 24, 2010 2:15 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

Did you execute the sequencer, the installer and everything else during the sequenced elevated?

/Znack
    Friday, September 24, 2010 5:36 AM
  • No I did not... I generally don't change anything during the sequencing from how I would do a "normal" installation... Is that necessary if the application properly installs during sequencing without elevation?  I will give it a try and report back.

Chris

Friday, September 24, 2010 10:40 AM
  • I just tried by elevating all processes (sequencer and installation)... could not see a way to elevate during the feature block 1 phase of sequencing without using some sort of intermediate script that launches the application.

The effort was not successful... the strange behavior, however, is that the application will not even run when I try to elevate running the OSD on my ASR client even when I'm logged on as Administrator...

That being said, if I turn off UAC totally, everything works perfectly as both admin and low privileged user.

This is the first time I've really run into Win7 UAC issues with an application.  The application that SnagIt it trying to launch and failing on is called SnagPriv.exe and I don't know what it's doing... Proc Mon is not very helpful except to say that it's trying to launch it.

jcl

Sunday, September 26, 2010 1:52 PM
  • No I did not... I generally don't change anything during the sequencing from how I would do a "normal" installation... Is that necessary if the application properly installs during sequencing without elevation?  I will give it a try and report back.

Chris

Yes, the general recommendation is that you do all sequencing using account in administrative context.

/Kalle

Sunday, September 26, 2010 6:15 PM
  • I just tried by elevating all processes (sequencer and installation)... could not see a way to elevate during the feature block 1 phase of sequencing without using some sort of intermediate script that launches the application.

The effort was not successful... the strange behavior, however, is that the application will not even run when I try to elevate running the OSD on my ASR client even when I'm logged on as Administrator...

You should not try to elevate Sequencer and/or processed during sequencing, but rather to log to sequencing machine with full local administrative privileges so that no "Run as Administrator" actions are ever necessary during sequencing. Did you try like that?

/Kalle

Sunday, September 26, 2010 6:20 PM
  • I am having the same issue with SnagIt 9.1.3 ... Whether sequencing with or without UAC, the program launches only when UAC is turned off on the client or when it is launched as an Admin (with elevation). With UAC, I get the 'unable to launch snagpriv.exe' issue. I don't have this problem when I install SnagIt locally though. I'm stumped!

I would appreciate any help around this.

Thanks!

Friday, October 1, 2010 1:42 PM
  • Hi all,

Sounds very much like the problem that I am having!! I am stumped also : (

Cheers,

Ander

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 3:13 AM
  • Monday, October 18, 2010 7:54 AM
  • Thanks kirk_tn for the pointers. The RunAsInvoker shim worked for me. I hope this worked for you too Ander.

Thanks,

Aparna

• Proposed as answer by znack Friday, January 21, 2011 3:20 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 11:57 AM
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 6:06 PM