The issues of have large Mail files in Exchange 2010. RRS feed

• Question

• Is there anything that I could to show my users the issues that large mailfiles have on performance, backups, recovery and moves?  This is in Exchange 2010 sp1 with a DAG setup.  Thanks
    TAHDAH
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 3:54 PM

Answers

• I think it's better to set up a quota for emails and give that information to all your company mail users.

Best regards

Best Regards Don't forget to mark it as answer if it helps
    • Marked as answer by Terence Yu Friday, December 16, 2011 9:25 AM
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 4:01 PM
  • Exchange 2010 is geared to handle large files. 2TB mail stores are fine. Users with Outlook 2010 and Windows 7 systems can have large mailboxes; five gigs and beyond are no problem. You’ll have to educate them on maybe getting an SSD in their laptop if they are going to get really enormous OST files and you can talk to them about the archive feature within Exchange (Not the Outlook one that puts stuff to PST files!).

Backups should not be a problem because you have to use VSS. The backup gets done instantly and the only slow thing is streaming the blocks off to tape or other location. SAN based backups and spooling off to tape (or just leaving them where they are and having a multiple copy DAG) is a simple process.

"TAHDAH" wrote in message news:8afca9e9-d3db-459d-9896-9606eaf72872...
    Is there anything that I could to show my users the issues that large mailfiles have on performance, backups, recovery and moves?  This is in Exchange 2010 sp1 with a DAG setup.  Thanks
    TAHDAH

Mark Arnold, Exchange MVP.
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 4:31 PM

All replies

• I think it's better to set up a quota for emails and give that information to all your company mail users.

Best regards

Best Regards Don't forget to mark it as answer if it helps
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 4:01 PM
  • Exchange 2010 is geared to handle large files. 2TB mail stores are fine. Users with Outlook 2010 and Windows 7 systems can have large mailboxes; five gigs and beyond are no problem. You’ll have to educate them on maybe getting an SSD in their laptop if they are going to get really enormous OST files and you can talk to them about the archive feature within Exchange (Not the Outlook one that puts stuff to PST files!).

Backups should not be a problem because you have to use VSS. The backup gets done instantly and the only slow thing is streaming the blocks off to tape or other location. SAN based backups and spooling off to tape (or just leaving them where they are and having a multiple copy DAG) is a simple process.

"TAHDAH" wrote in message news:8afca9e9-d3db-459d-9896-9606eaf72872...
    Is there anything that I could to show my users the issues that large mailfiles have on performance, backups, recovery and moves?  This is in Exchange 2010 sp1 with a DAG setup.  Thanks
    TAHDAH

Mark Arnold, Exchange MVP.
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 4:31 PM