Windows Vista GPO and Server 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• I currently manage a Windows Server 2003 domain with XP machines. I want to start migrating to Vista machines from XP. Can I utilize the GPO features of Windows Vista without having Windows Server Longhorn? Also can a Windows Server Longhorn replicate GPOs with a Windows Server 2003 domain controller?
    Friday, April 6, 2007 5:04 PM

Answers

• You can certainly use the GPO's of Vista from a Server 2003 domain, though you'll probably want to manage them from a Vista client to access all the settings. There is loads of advice on TechNet here, I'd strongly advise setting up a central store for ADMX files first, as described in the linked article.

I presume Longhorn will be capable of running in a mixed 2003 environment (as 2003 was with 2000) with the option to enable more features once all DCs are migrated to Longhorn.

Saturday, April 7, 2007 10:11 AM
  • Running Longhorn BETA thte answer is yes to 2000, 2003 , xp and vista gpo's
    Monday, April 9, 2007 1:50 PM

All replies

• You can certainly use the GPO's of Vista from a Server 2003 domain, though you'll probably want to manage them from a Vista client to access all the settings. There is loads of advice on TechNet here, I'd strongly advise setting up a central store for ADMX files first, as described in the linked article.

I presume Longhorn will be capable of running in a mixed 2003 environment (as 2003 was with 2000) with the option to enable more features once all DCs are migrated to Longhorn.

Saturday, April 7, 2007 10:11 AM
  • Running Longhorn BETA thte answer is yes to 2000, 2003 , xp and vista gpo's
    Monday, April 9, 2007 1:50 PM