none
Copy Distribution Group's members to another Distribution Group in FIM 2010. RRS feed

• Question

• Distribution Group 1 : Test_Main

Members: M1,M2

Distribution Group 1 : Test_Sub

Members: S1,S2

i want members of Test_Main(M1,M2) to be the members of Test_Sub.

whenever client adds a member to Test_Main automatically becomes the member of Test_Sub.

How to do it?

I knw I can add Test_Main(group) as a member of Test_Sub.

but does it mean its(Test_Main) members automatically becomes the members of Test_Sub..??  

Monday, February 10, 2014 10:42 AM

All replies

• If you add group (A_Sub) under another group (B_Main), user TestA from A_Sub would not be visible in B_Main group. Only sub-group would be visible.

But if someone sends mail to B_Main group, user TestA would receive it as he is a (non-explicit) member of this group.

If you want to create something like
    1. Test_Main
    2. Test_Sub
    3. Test_Sub is a member of Test_Main
    4. If you add a member to Test_Sub and he should be automatically an explicit member of Test_Main?

If so, I would create it slightly different - make Test_Main group a criteria-based group in FIM - and criteria would be "Resource ID in Test_Set". And the Test_Set definition would be criteria-based -> calculated member of Test_Sub group or a member of "Test_Main" set.

Keep trying

• Proposed as answer by ZuziaT Wednesday, February 12, 2014 12:53 PM
    Monday, February 10, 2014 12:25 PM
  • Thanks Dominik..

But Test_Set's definition is quite confusing to me.

How to send members of Test_sub's group to the Test_Set??

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 6:31 AM
  • There are a couple of ways that can be done:

1. http://bloggingaccident.com/2012/11/20/fim-using-group-members-as-set-members/

2. In the filter attribute, edit the text value of the Filter tag to be :
    /Person[ObjectID = /*[ObjectID = '3e27bc39-dd57-4e24-97b9-3c9726df788a']/ComputedMember]
    Replace the guid with the resource ID of the target group and save your set.
    If you go back to sour set and view the rule, FIM will display an error, but if you click on view member, you see that the user are correctly populate.

3. http://blog.msresource.net/2011/10/06/set-and-group-criteria-filters/

Just choose the one that fits best for you.

Keep trying

• Proposed as answer by Varun Kohli Wednesday, February 12, 2014 5:12 PM
    Wednesday, February 12, 2014 6:58 AM
  • Hi Ankur,

There is one simple way to achieve this :

1) Just Create Test_Main Group and Set the criteria whatever you want to apply.

2) Now, Create Test_sub Group and in criteria section select Group Type object and in condition tab  give condition as DisplayName is Equal to "Test_main".

Your all users from "Test_Main" will get the membership of "Test_sub" Group.

I hope this will help. 

Thanks~ Giriraj Singh Bhamu

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 4:30 PM
  • Thanks Giriraj.

what you told is the same thing that i did-with a slight difference.

instead of making a criteria in Test_sub group, i simply added Test_main group manually in Test_sub group.

BUT my basic moto is i have a GROUP (lets say) Test_Main (and it is Criteria based for example Department is "HR") , but i want to add some Users(randomly without any criteria).

so i thot i'll make a new Group Test_Sub (manually based) which have these random users. and Add these member to Test_Main group.

HOW TO THAT ACTIVITY?? 

• Edited by srm.ankur Thursday, February 13, 2014 6:34 AM
    Thursday, February 13, 2014 6:12 AM
  • Ankur,

If you have only few users that you want to add, then you can simply put those in the criteria itself. Simply add one more condition like accountName - "XYZ" and add more if you need.
    Also, if you need more random users then create a manual group and add users to that manual group. Post that put this manual group in the criteria field of group you need.

Thanks,
    Manuj

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 12:23 PM