how to upgrade from wss 3? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi There,

At the moment we have, in addition to the standard website, several sharepoint sites set up on our server using WSS 3.

We're planning on getting Sharpoint Server 2010 installed on same server.

Can we just put in the CD and it will auto upgrade just fine or there's something that we need to watch out for?

thanks you for your advice.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 3:46 AM

Answers

• too many issue with upgrading to 2010 e.g. powershell not registered correctly.

set up a new server with clean install of SharePoint instead.

Andrew P.
    • Marked as answer by p.andrew Monday, November 22, 2010 6:22 AM
    Monday, November 22, 2010 6:22 AM

All replies

• You can perform in-place upgrade on the same server, provided it meets the Hardware and Software Requirement.  As you are using WSS3, you should be able to go for SharePoint Foundation 2010.

Please review the Upgrade Documentation.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc287821.aspx

In any case, you are adviced to run a trial run on a non-production system, before you do this operation on Production environment.

Thanks & Regards,
    Kamlesh | Blog | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Proposed as answer by Prashanth Palakollu Wednesday, July 7, 2010 12:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by Lily Wu Thursday, July 15, 2010 7:45 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Lily Wu Thursday, July 15, 2010 7:47 AM
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 4:33 AM
  • To clarify what Kamlesh said, and to hopefully directly answer your question, here's the options you have available:

• In-Place Upgrade from WSS v3 to SharePoint Foundation 2010 . This is where you download the SharePoint Foundation 2010 installer to your server running WSS v3, run it, select the in place upgrade option and away you go. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc288753.aspx
    • Database Attach Upgrade from WSS v3 to SharePoint Server 2010. In this case, you would back up the content databases for your WSS environment, restore them into the SQL Server instance used by a brand new SharePoint Server 2010 farm, then attach them to the farm. This will automatically upgrade them to the SharePoint Server 2010 database schema and configuration. Keep in mind, this only migrates the content from your old WSS v3 farm to a new SharePoint Server 2010 farm, it does not include farm configurations or customizations. This is Microsoft's recommended approach for going from WSS v3 to SharePoint Server 2010 (you could do an in-place upgrade to Foundation, then upgrade it to Server, but that is more complicated to execute). This link is for a database attach from WSS to SharePoint Foundation 2010, but you should be able to use the same process to SharePoint Server 2010: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc303311.aspx
    John
    MCTS: WSS v3, MOSS 2007, and SCOM 2007

Now Available on Amazon - The SharePoint 2007 Disaster Recovery Guide. Coming Soon - The SharePoint 2010 Disaster Recovery Guide.
    My blog: My Central Admin.
    Friday, July 9, 2010 3:14 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.
    I'll read it this week.

Also, we might need to migrate the database to SQL Server 2008 after the upgrade.
    should we migrate the database to SQL Server 2008 first or we can do the db migration AFTER doing the upgrade?

Monday, July 12, 2010 2:21 AM
  • Hi,

If you go with In-Place Upgrade, you should upgrade to SQL Server version that match the minimum software requirement of SharePoint 2010 before the upgrade process.

If it is a database attach upgrade, please make sure that you’ve built a brand new SharePoint 2010 server farm and then attach the database which comes from the source.

Ultimately, seems that you should upgrade to 64 bit SQL Server 2008 SP1 with CU2 or SQL Sever 2008 R2 first if you are currently using SQL Server 2005 without SP3.

Thanks & Regards.

Lily Wu
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 8:52 AM
  • we do have sql server 2008 on another server.

so, just to recap, mean we need to:

1. upgrade wss3 to spFoundation
    2. move the database to sql 2008
    3. install moss 2010

right?

We don't have a complex structure yet.
    It's only consists of 1 server running wss3 with a few sites and no sql server installed.
    my colleague suggested that I install moss 2010 on a new test server, import the current database to it, and do whatever test we can think of.
    will that worth a try or the upgrade will just gonna work?
    (none of us have a solid knowledge of sharepoint/wss)

Also, I tried to do a test backup/recover from wss by:

1. make a backup of site collection
    2. delete site collection (will delete the web site on iis)
    3. recover from the backup file
    4. ... nothing works

I can't remember the error message but then it gave me a range of issues like iis fails to start etc.

is there a good article on how to do backup/restore/migrate-to-sql of wss/sharepoint database?

Thursday, July 15, 2010 7:22 AM
  • too many issue with upgrading to 2010 e.g. powershell not registered correctly.

set up a new server with clean install of SharePoint instead.

Andrew P.
    • Marked as answer by p.andrew Monday, November 22, 2010 6:22 AM
    Monday, November 22, 2010 6:22 AM