Wont boot without disc RRS feed

• Question

• I am using vista home basic and it has been starting up without any problems until I did a windows update some months ago - suddenly an error on startup File Boot\BCD error while attempting to read the boot config data - that was fixed by booting up using disc and running the start up repair. Then I decided to update windows again (was put off by the problems) and the same thing happened and I then realised the updates were failing to install - I have seen many many other posts about update problems so have managed to sort that out, remove KB941649, the update that caused everything else not to install, BUT now I have to have the vista cd in to boot up, if I have it in the computer asks if to boot from cd, I ignore it and then get a screen asking which version to start up and all is ok. Without the disc it is stuck at the error 'while attempting to read boot config data.
    I have run the start up recovery which now says it can see no problem.
    I then tried bootrec /rebuild, nothing happened. I used bootrec /scan and it came up with 0 windows installs. I then tried bootrec /Fixboot, that said it was successful but nothing changed. I have not tried bootrec /FixMbr - might this work? Any other suggestions please it is really annoying me as I cant make sense of it - I have tried changing the boot sequence as it has been mentioned elsewhere but this has had no effect either (and it all worked ok yesterday!)
    thanks for any help
    Wednesday, April 9, 2008 3:00 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

Thanks for posting here!

From the current symptom, I consider the issue can be related to BIOS setting, SATA control or RAID. I suggest we first boot the computer, go to BIOS setup screen and restored the BIOS to the fail safe defaults and restarted the computer to check if the issue is resolved as many issues were resolved by this method.

Best regards,

Friday, April 11, 2008 8:21 AM