none
Proposal: Allow use with keyboard only RRS feed

• Question

• In WIndows 10 there is an issue where some popup prevents clicking anywhere with the mouse (I can still move the mouse, but a rotationg busy-cursor is preventing any clicks). Using the keyboard I can still run programs, but I cannot send any mouse click events. So I managed to open Windows Task manager, navigate with the cursor and TAB key to the process in question and deleted it.

Before that I had tried to do the same thing with Process Explorer 16.20, but it seems it cannot be controlled using the keyboard. Even when using the built-in help, searching for "key", I got no matches.

So the proposal is obvious: Allow using the tool with key keyboard. At least to the extent that allows selecting and stopping a process.

• Edited by Paul Curious Thursday, October 10, 2019 6:49 AM Add version number
    Thursday, October 10, 2019 6:46 AM

All replies

• Hi Paul

It's possible to move between panes using the tab key and to move between processes using the cursor key. And you can terminate a process by selecting it via the cursor keys then hitting delete. Could you clarify which functionality you believe is missing?

MarkC(MSFT)

Thursday, October 10, 2019 1:32 PM
  • When I start Process Explorer, and then hit TAB, nothing visible happened. However when I clicked on the Window once, TAB changes panes. Maybe it's a problem with initial "input focus" (I don't know how the concept is named in Windows).

I reproduced the test:

Clicking on the window bar is not enough.

Clicking a menu item is not enough.

Clicking an icon is not enough.

However once I clicked inside the upper pane, TAB starts to work.

Monday, October 14, 2019 10:35 AM
  • On what Os are you trying?

On my Windows 10 when I start PE I am directly in the process list which I can navigate with the arrows keys.

I can press Alt and the menu File gets highlighted.. From there I can move on the others menu with the arrow keys..

Pressing the TAB made me jump to the process list again where I can navigate them using the arrow keys

If you right click on an item, you will see that you have 3 keyboard commands: Delete (DEL), Delete Process Tree(Shift+DEL), Search Online (CTRL+M)

If you press Enter on a process, then you can move between tabs using CTRL+TAB and between fields using SHIFT+TAB.. pressing Cancel or ok close the open window..

So, it looks pretty complete, then if you have a right click equivalent in the keyboard, then you can do everything.

HTH
    -mario

Monday, October 14, 2019 12:23 PM
  • Things are getting interesting: I had been using v15.40 on Windows 10 1809, so I upgraded to v16.30.

First I thought the issue is gone with the newer version, but then I discovered it is not:

• If I run it by double-clicking, I can swicth panes with TAB
    • However if I run it using right mouse button and "Run as Administrator...", I can not switch panes using the TAB key

Interesting, isn't it?

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 7:42 AM
  • Did you try with CTRL+TAB or SHIFT+TAB??

I always run as administrator and it works for me

Please, try again..

HTH
    -mario

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 7:50 AM
  • No: TAB, Shift+TAB, Ctrl+TAB all don't have any effect, but I found a work-around:

If you press Ctrl+T, a pane is activated, and from then on, I can switch panes using TAB.

From then on it's even getting more interesting: Now if I start Process Explorer the first pane is preselected as if it remembered where it was.

Very strange!

Thursday, October 17, 2019 8:50 AM