File Explorer missing in start menu by default - Windows 10 1607 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everybody,

It seems since version 1607 File Explorer is not displayed by default in start menu.

I know how to enable it manually in settings-> Personalization->Start-> Which folder appear on start -> Enable File Explorer.

My question is how can I do it in automation mode (Group Policy or scripts) ?

I do not find anything in Group Policy....

thanks for your help...

Monday, November 28, 2016 2:50 PM

All replies

• Hello,

You always do this:

1. Make a shortcut of File Explorer (Path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe) and change the target location to the desired one.
    2. For Default Users: Use shortcut created (explorer.lnk) and copy it using a script to this path of each 1607 computers: C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    3. Each new user that will connect will have the File Explorer Shortcut
    4. If you wish, you can add this shortcut to ALL Users instead of Default User: The path to copy the shortcut is: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Best Regards,

Gilles Tremblay
    MCSE Server | Desktop | Messaging | Collaboration | Productivity | Mobility | Cloud Platform and Infrastructure

Dont forget to mark as Answered if you found this post helpful.

DISCLAIMER: This post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties of any kind, either expressed or implied, and confers no rights. Always test before!

• Edited by Gilles Tremblay Monday, November 28, 2016 3:25 PM Minor corrections
    Monday, November 28, 2016 3:03 PM
  • Thank you gilles but it is not exactly the behavior I expected as it already exists a shortcut in "Windows System" Folder.

Monday, November 28, 2016 5:43 PM
  • Hi,

As I known, there is no registry key or GP to realize what you would like except the UI settings.

I noticed a registry key may related to this settings, but the value is in binary and cannot be customized easily, we could try to export the registry and then deploy to users via GPP:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ApplicationFrame\Positions\windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy!microsoft.windows.immersivecontrolpanel]
    "PositionObject"=hex:2c,00,00,00,02,00,00,00,03,00,00,00,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,\
      ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,28,00,00,00,20,00,00,00,58,03,00,00,a0,02,00,00
    "Version"=dword:00000003

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 1, 2016 6:01 AM
  • Kate Li,

This is the start of an answer, maybe.

There are many places in the registry where Microsoft has chosen to use cryptic binary based methods of storing the on/off status of a setting. This is done by taking a hex number such as "F", which in binary is 1111 and assigning an on/off option to each binary digit. So it may represent something like the following example, not based on real MS/OS options locations..

The first digit, left to right, can be to "show icons on the desktop" for example and the 2nd can be for showing "this PC" on the desktop, the 3rd one can be for "show file extensions", and the last one can be for "showing the "Run" option on the start menu, so the number becomes "F" or 1111 when all options are turned on, and "0" or 0000, when all are turned off. 

If we "show icons on the desktop" and we "show file extensions", but we disable the "Run" option and showing "The PC" on the desktop, we would have a binary number of "1010" or in hex "A". If we use the "and" Boolean logic function we can check the on/off status of each option. To find out if the "show icons on desktop" option is "on", represented by a value of "1" in the first digit we would "and" the value of "A" in hex or "1010" in binary with "1000" in binary or "8" in hex. If the result is "1000" or "8" in binary then we know the option is "on".  To see if the option to show the file extension is on we will "and" the "A" hex or "1010" binary with "0010" binary or "2" and if we get "2" for the answer it is on and "0" for the answer it is off. And so on and so forth. 

A MUCH better explanation of "Masking" can be found here...

Infor on Masking

What Microsoft MUST DO is provide the binary MAP of EVERYONE of the hundreds of options controlled via registry values of this type in the entire OS!

No exceptions. One of the things stored like this are the many on/off options found in the "Internet Settings" UI under Internet Explorer. "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\3\{AEBA21FA-782A-4A90-978D-B72164C80120}" which has a binary value of "1a3761592352350c7a5f20172f1e1a190e2b017313371312141a152a4e2c080d201b28183632" in my registry which has some non standard settings we needed set for compatibility with certain websites we have to access. ( I Would love to find the Map for this value, I can make setting, export it and import it to other users' registry settings to get these custom options in there, but I need a map to be able to accurately manage the settings we need via Boolean logic, without  locking the user out of all the other options under that number etc. or changing more than the one or two settings we need to control, as it was meant to be done)

Microsoft MUST give us the MAP so that we will know how to toggle the switch we need to control. Nothing must be left out. A FULL MAP MUST BE GIVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So if the on/off setting for "Showing File Explorer in Start Menu" is one of those binary digits under the "PositionObject"=hex:2c,00,00,00,02,00,00,00,03,00,00,00,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,\
      ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,28,00,00,00,20,00,00,00,58,03,00,00,a0,02,00,00" value Microsoft MUST tell us AT THE LEAST which one and what value to mask it with and how, to toggle it or see how it is set. That would be the complete and proper answer for this question. Nothing less in detail Will work for an answer. Just saying it is "Somewhere" in that number IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. Microsoft MUST GIVE US THE COMPLETE MAP OF ALL THE BINARY DIGITS IN SUCH VALUES THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE REGISTRY ETC.

It is WAY OVER TIME THAT MICROSOFT PROVIDED EASY TO FIND MAPS OF ALL POSSIBLE SETTINGS IN THE REGISTRY FOR ALL POSSIBLE OPTIONS IN THE ALL VERSIONS AND FLAVORS OF ALL THEIR OSs BOTH FOR DWORD BASED SETTINGS AND BINARY, NO EXCEPTIONS NOTHING EVER LEFT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking forward to the "Complete" answer to this questions, and a link to ALL the MAPS for ALL the options in the entire OS.

Thanks in advance,

Ralph

• Proposed as answer by Ralph Malph 2 Tuesday, April 24, 2018 6:44 PM
    Friday, April 20, 2018 8:48 PM