none
Sharepoint unavailable for Protection Group in DPM 2010 RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi, I'm trying to add my sharepoint farm to a protection group in dpm 2010, but its not appearing in the list of available 'Group Members' - i can see the 'SQL Server', 'Hyper-V', etc, but no Sharepoint.

On this server, I've got:

• Windows Server 2008 R2 + Hyper-V.
    • Team Foundation Server 2010.
    • Sharepoint Services 3.0 (this is installed with TFS2010). All tiers of Sharepoint are on this server.
    • SQL Server 2008 R2 (used by TFS2010 and Sharepoint Services).
    • SQL Server 2008 (used by DPM 2010, since it annoyingly does not support SQL Server 2008 R2).
    • DPM 2010.

Things I've tried:

• Executed the "ConfigureSharepoint.exe -enableSharepointProtection" command with the correct admin user for the Sharepoint farm. This said it was successful.
    • Ensured that the 'Windows Sharepoint Services VSS Writer" service is running. 
    • I've ran the "vssadmin list writers" command and the "Sharepoint Writers Service" is listed.
    • Gone through event logs to fix any causes of error logs e.g. DCOM errors etc.

I'm not sure if its because i've got both sharepoint and DPM on the same server or what, but it doesn't want to appear. I've been at this for a few days so any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

• Edited by Shane Hancock Wednesday, June 16, 2010 8:13 AM Added results of configuresharepoint command
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 7:44 AM

Answers

• There is no provision for installing the DPM related sharepoint components, even after installing them, the protection wizard do not list the sharepoint data sources present on DPM as on DPM server only selective data sources are listed for protection. Coming to SBS kind of environment having a different DPM server is always beneficial to avoid cases like backup server and data source server both being down/lost. Its always better to keep workloads and their backup servers to have different failure points than one failure causing both machines down.
    Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Shane Hancock Thursday, June 17, 2010 8:28 AM
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 6:47 AM

All replies

• Protecting Sharepoint Installed on DPM server is not a supported scenario. There are some components that do not get installed on DPM server that are required for Sharepoint Protection and also protecting all datasources present on DPM server is allowed, only for a limited set of the data sources its allowed.

Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 1:11 PM
  • Wow, ok. That seems like a fairly major (and undocumented?) restriction to not support both sharepoint and dpm on the same server. I'm guessing this could be a fairly common scenario for small businesses like mine that cant afford multiple servers for everything.

Is there any way at all that i can install these missing components to workaround this restriction? Otherwise, i'm going to have to move the sharepoint sites into a vpc or something as we cant afford another server.

Thursday, June 17, 2010 12:46 AM
  • There is no provision for installing the DPM related sharepoint components, even after installing them, the protection wizard do not list the sharepoint data sources present on DPM as on DPM server only selective data sources are listed for protection. Coming to SBS kind of environment having a different DPM server is always beneficial to avoid cases like backup server and data source server both being down/lost. Its always better to keep workloads and their backup servers to have different failure points than one failure causing both machines down.
    • Marked as answer by Shane Hancock Thursday, June 17, 2010 8:28 AM
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 6:47 AM