Can't Add Profile Picture Outlook 2013/2016 RRS feed

• Question

• I have seen two ways of adding an Outlook Profile Picture on the web.  Neither work.  We are using Outlook 2013 and 2016 with a Exchange 2010 server.

1) File, Account Information, to right of Account and Social Network Settings.  I see a place for a picture, but the button to add a picture is missing.

2) People, Contacts, search for your contact.  Many times there is no contact for the person who owns the profile.  You have to add a contact for yourself?

3)  For one person, who did have a contact for theirself, and put a picture in their own contact, the picture still didn't show up in File, Account Information.

I would like to get this sorted out, because the Operations Manager now wants pictures for all profiles.

Michael

Thursday, November 10, 2016 7:45 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

#1 Do you mean there is no Change button under the picture box? Please first check if there is any GPO setting enabled in our environment that preventing users from changing contact pictures.

#2 This is the expected behavior in Outlook. Contacts folder only stores local contacts you created in Outlook. If you didn't add your contact to the contacts folder, there will be no contact entry for yourself.

#3 As I stated in #2, Contacts folder only stores local contacts, if you add a photo to the contact entry in the Contacts folder, it will only be added to the local contact entry. It will not show up in File, Account Information.

If I've misunderstood something, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Thursday, November 17, 2016 2:25 AM
    Sunday, November 13, 2016 4:58 PM
  • Hi Michael,                                                                                     

Just checking in to see if the information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Steve Fan

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 17, 2016 2:25 AM
  • Hi Steve,

Thanks for checking in.  I was out of the office for a few days. 

1.  There is no change button under the picture.  I wish there was.  It sure would make this easier.

2.  Thanks for the info on the contacts only showing in local contact.

3.  If I add a local contact for myself, and then add a picture to that, will the picture show up when someone receives the email?  Will it show up in their contacts for my entry?

Michael

Thursday, November 17, 2016 6:28 PM
  • Thank you Michael for the update.

#1 If you cannot see the Change button, it could be that the ability to change a photo is restricted by your admin via the "Hide photo link" GPO setting. I'd recommend you contact your IT admin to confirm this.

I've tried enabled the GPO setting and now the Change button has disappeared:

#3 I'm afraid the answer is No. You may try to logon to OWA and then see if you can change you photo from there:

If above still doesn't help, it's more likely that your admin has restricted this and you will need to contact your admin for further assistance.

Regards,

Steve Fan

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Monday, November 21, 2016 6:07 AM
    Monday, November 21, 2016 6:07 AM
  • Dear Michael,

Just wanted to say hi and check if there is anything that I can do for you on this problem. If so, please do not hesitate to let me know and I will be happy to help.

Best Regards,

Steve Fan

Thursday, November 24, 2016 2:11 AM
  • Hi Steve,

Thanks for the help.  I am the Admin, so can make any changes needed.  I'm not sure where to look though.  There is also no change picture button in OWA.

I also tried adding a picture to a contact with the same contact info as the sender.  The picture added fine to the contact, but will not show up on the receiving end.

This really driving me crazy!  Nothing works!

Michael

• Edited by Michael1000 Saturday, November 26, 2016 6:56 AM
    Saturday, November 26, 2016 4:52 AM
  • Thank you Michael for the update.

From Outlook client side, the behavior could be controlled via the "Hide photo link" GPO setting. You may type the following command in Run command to generate a gpreport.html file on your desktop and then open the file in your browser to see if you have the "Hide photo link" GPO setting enabled.

gpresult /h desktop/gpreport.html

From the OWA side, you may try running the following PowerShell command to see if the helps:

Get-OwaVirtualDirectory | Set-OwaVirtualDirectory -SetPhotoEnabled $true

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Monday, November 28, 2016 3:23 PM
  • Hi Steve,

I ran the command

gpresult /h desktop/gpreport.html

and reviewed the resulting HTML file.  I could not find any references to "Hide photo link".

On the Exchange server, I opened Exchange PowerShell, and ran the command,

Get-OwaVirtualDirectory | Set-OwaVirtualDirectory -SetPhotoEnabled $true

It came back with:

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-OwaVirtualDirectory | Set-OwaVirtualDirectory -SetPhotoEnabled $true
    A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument 'True'.
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Set-OwaVirtualDirectory], ParameterBindingException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PositionalParameterNotFound,Set-OwaVirtualDirectory

Michael

• Edited by Michael1000 Wednesday, November 30, 2016 8:36 PM
    Wednesday, November 30, 2016 8:32 PM
  • Thank you for the update Michael.

Based on my deep research and testing, changing account photo from end user side in Outlook or OWA is not supported when using Exchange 2010 version. Apologize that I missed this important information. If you want to upload photo in Outlook when using Exchange 2010, you need to follow the instructions here:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/ilvancri/2009/11/17/upload-picture-in-outlook-2010-using-the-exchange-management-shell-exchange-2010/

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Steve Fan

• Marked as answer by Michael1000 Saturday, January 14, 2017 1:43 AM
    Tuesday, December 6, 2016 5:09 AM
  • Dear Michael,

Just wanted to say hi and check if there is anything that I can do for you on this problem. If so, please do not hesitate to let me know and I will be happy to help.

Best Regards,

Steve Fan

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 1:40 AM
  • Hi Steve,

Thanks for all the help.  Adding the photo to Active Directory did the trick.  The link you provided was a great start.  I found another blog which had more detail for those not quite as handy with Active Directory below.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/exchange/2010/03/10/gal-photos-in-exchange-2010-and-outlook-2010/

The only issue I ran into in this blog, is the "Import-RecipientDataProperty command needs to be run in the Exchange Management Shell, not Windows PowerShell.

There was also a bit of confusion in the blogs about the size of the photo that can be imported into AD.  The AD thumbnailPhoto attribute can hold 100KB, but the Exchange Import-RecipientDataProperty can only handle 10KB, so you are effectively limited to 10KB.

This was quite a journey to get to this point.  Thanks for hanging in there, Steve.

Michael

Saturday, January 14, 2017 1:53 AM