cannot install my company's VPN software on my laptop that has Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• I have been unsuccessful to install my company's VPN software on my laptop that has Windows 10. My company's IT will not help, because the laptop was not issued by my company. The IT people, however, did say that they are certain that it is a Windows problem that does not allow me to install their VPN software. I need the VPN software on this particular laptop because it is lightweight and I travel a lot. The laptop issued by my company is too heavy for me to travel with. Microsoft support said that only their commercial support dept could help, but their help costs $500. The online Microsoft person who helped me with another problem also said the problem was a Windows problem, but his team does not deal with VPN problems. He also told me that the commercial support group could help-- as noted above, they charge $500. I think that if the problem originates with Microsoft Windows, Microsoft should apologize and repair it, definitely at no cost to me--i have been inconvenienced by the malfunction Microsoft caused. This is what happens when I  try to install the VPN software:

1-I click on the link http-support.mjhs.org and then on the first link on that site: New VPN installation

2- I click on the get the download of CicscoAnyconnect.exe, and I click on that 

3--I get a screen that says: Windows Protected your PC. Windows Defender SmartScreen prevented an unrecognized app from starting. Running this app might put your PC at risk. More Info.

Don't Run

4- I click on More Info, and get App: CiscoAnyconnect(1).exe, Publisher: Unknown Publisher. and I have a choice to 'Run Anyway.'

5- I am asked" do you want to allow this app from an unknown publisher to make changes on your device?" I choose 'yes.'

6-i get a message that the file already exists, do you want to replace, rename, cancel: choice of yes or no for each option

7-whichever choice I make, I then get a choice to troubleshoot, run as administrator, 

8-then the loop starts all over, with step 5 above 

I look forward to your assistance.

Thanks,

Brenda Breuer

Friday, July 6, 2018 4:05 PM

All replies

• Hi Brenda.

I'm not sure the URL where you've downloaded Cisco Anyconnect is trustable: Cisco Anyconnect is installed in my working notebook running Windows 10 Pro x64 (the installation package has been downloaded from the Cisco web site) and it works perfectly.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MCTS, MOS, MTA

Friday, July 6, 2018 9:58 PM
  • could you please provide step-by-step instructions? Am I required to pay for the software?

Thanks,

Brenda

Sunday, July 8, 2018 7:06 PM
  • could you please provide step-by-step instructions? Am I required to pay for the software?

Thanks,

Brenda

I was provided with the Cisco AnyConnect installer files by one of the network administrators: the file was downloaded from the Cisco web site but the network administrator had to login to the Cisco site to start the download.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MCTS, MOS, MTA

Monday, July 9, 2018 1:08 PM
  • please indicate the administrator of which network. Cisco or the company you work for?

Thanks,

Brenda

Friday, July 13, 2018 12:45 PM
  • please indicate the administrator of which network. Cisco or the company you work for?

Thanks,

Brenda

I apologize for that missing information: the network administrator of the company I work for did provide with me with the Cisco AnyConnect installation file.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MCTS, MOS, MTA

Friday, July 13, 2018 1:23 PM