none
Backup shortdisk and longterm tape issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hallo

I have a question. I come from Backup Exec and i am doing a test with dpm.

Problem:

I do a daily shortterm disk backup for 1 month. And i want to do a longterm tape with a monthly backup. (As i understand, at the tape is only 1 recoverypoint at the end of the month). Comparing with Backup Exec i can say that i want a monthly tapebackup with every day on it. how do i the same in dpm2012?

any ideas?

Thank you

Marc

Monday, September 2, 2013 1:42 PM

All replies

• HI,

What you really want then is a daily tape backup, so configure a daily LT tape backup instead of a monthly backup.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 5:56 PM
  • Hello

My goal with dpm 2012 is

shortterm backups 35 days 1 recovery point every day at 18.00

longterm tape monthly backup first day at month (with all recovery points from the last month as i decided at shortterm)

-> i need this monthly tape for offside backup and we should be able to restore every day from this monthly backup

My understanding for monthly backup is, that the longterme backup (monthly) make only 1 recoverypoint before backup. So i have only the data recoverypoint from for example the first at each month. When i want restore 1 year later a file from the 5th day from the tape, i am not able to do this?

I dont understand how to do daily recoverypoints over a month to a put at a monthly tape. I dont want use daily tape for offside 365 tapes are too much). The GOAL is, to have a save offside but from every day at tape...

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks a lot for your help

Marc 

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 6:56 AM
  • Hi Mike

Thank you for your reply

My goal is, that i have only 1 monthly backup tape (but with daily recoverypoints) for offside. I must be able to restore each day over 2 years. So this mean, i need 365x2 Tapes. I hoped i can do a monthlybackup and dpm saves all daily recoverypoints from the shorttermbackup. (this is possible in Backupexec, there i need 2 tapes each month). with dpm i need 750 Tapes.

Any solutions?

bye Marc

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 7:03 AM
  • Hi,

I don't understand your math, if you make a daily tape backup with a retention range of 2 years, based on your statement that backupexec only needs two tapes a month, then that is all that DPM should need every month as well.  Make a new tape co-location set and add the PG to the set.  Click on the Advanced button to modify the write period and make it 30 days.  DPM will use the same tape for 30 days (or until it gets full) for the daily backups.  You can change the tapes every month regardless if they are marked offsite ready of not.  Now you wil be able to recover your data for any day of the week for two years back.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 3:52 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your answer. I will try this.

The problem i thougt between Backup exec and DPM is, that BackupExec is making first day of month FULL Backup and then till end of month all day an incremental backup, so this is using all togheter 2 Tapes each month. Otherwise with daily backup to tape with dpm there is all day a full backup -> exchange and sql (not so in backupexec, there are incrementals). so i am not sure if there will be only 2 tapes each month....

i have a go with this.

thank you.

bye Marc

Thursday, September 5, 2013 12:36 PM
  • Hi,

Correct, All DPM long term tape backups are full backups.  The only way to get incremental backups for tape is to use short-term tape backups, but then you loose the disk based backups.

A hybrid solution is to use DPM short-term disk protection, then use Backupexec to perform copy-only tape backup of the DPM replica volume using incremental backup.

Using 3rd party to backup a DPM server is described here:  

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb809019.aspx

However, restores of protected data will need to be performed to an alternate location (Not back to the DPM server) by the 3rd party application.

What I mean by this is the 3rd party backup application will be protecting the DPM replica volumes (either directly, or via a snapshot using dpmbackup –replicas) – and if a restore is required of a data that is older than what DPM has on disk, then the restore from tape will need to restore the files to an alternate location – anywhere but the DPM replica, as that will compromise current DPM disk based backups.   Restores from tape should be RARE if they have adequate retention range on DPM disk. 

Basic steps for DPM 2012:

1) Open a ADMINISTRATIVE command prompt and run dpmbackup -replicas
    2) Start the 3rd party backup application and have it backup all the data under the C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\Volumes\ShadowCopy folder.

You could script the above two steps so it's automated.

Thursday, September 5, 2013 3:32 PM