How enable Actual Duration in Project Server Timesheet? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I would like to enable the Actual Duration field in the timesheet. I want an option to report performance over the Actual Work (standard). Is it possible?

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 9:16 PM

All replies

• I think you are confusing a few things or I don't understand your question. 

The time sheet view is for inputting of actual work and remaining work against assignments. This is for user input. BTW via the PWA settings page under Manage Views you can edit the the timesheet view to add columns 

Reporting can be done via the reporting database or views to compare items or determine variance.

When you have resources reporting actual work against an assignment these assignments sum up to be the total actual work on the task, which in turn can drive the duration of the task depending on the task type. Think about having a task that is two weeks in duration... that is 80 hours of work for a full time resource but if you add another resource to it the task type will determine if that is 160 hours of work and the same duration or whether it is 40 hours duration, 80 hours of work. 

Can you re-state your objective? Did any of the above help or did I misunderstand the question? 

Stephen T. O'Connor Jr., PMP soconnorjr@gmail.com

Wednesday, May 4, 2016 12:23 AM
  • I think you are confusing a few things or I don't understand your question. 

The time sheet view is for inputting of actual work and remaining work against assignments. This is for user input. BTW via the PWA settings page under Manage Views you can edit the the timesheet view to add columns 

Stephen T. O'Connor Jr., PMP soconnorjr@gmail.com

Here! That's the point! I know about the timesheet view is for inputtint actual work but under Manage Views, the columns has an option "make read-only". I would like change this option when the column Actual Duration (avialiable to add to the view) is selected. So resources can update the duration instead of working in activities that do not have associated work via timesheet too.

Can you help me?

Wednesday, May 4, 2016 12:17 PM
  • Hi,

If you just need to change the label, in manage views, open your timesheet view, click on the given field on the right part (selected fields) and change the label.

That being said, it could be confusing since users are not update the actual duration but the actual work, which are 2 separate concepts. I think it is quite important to keep them apart since the difference between duration and work is a cornerstone with Project.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCC |

Wednesday, May 4, 2016 12:51 PM
  • The resources will update the actual duration, only. I want to use the timesheet (which was done to update the actual work, I know) as a means for resource upgrade durations. I know the two concepts and need to use time management through the duration. We do not control the work at this time. In his figure, "Make ready column only" box solves my problem since I can disable it when you choose the Actual Duration field on the left part. The box is disabled for edition. Is there any way to enable it when the actual duration field is added to the timesheet view?

Wednesday, May 4, 2016 4:56 PM