DPM Errors when losing connection to iSCSI volumes RRS feed

• Question

• OK, so I have looked through these forums and found a few posts that was my exact issue but recreating replicas is not a good enough fix for me, it's only a workaround that I cannot do right now.

I have a Synology NAS connected to the DPM server using iSCSI. The issues/errors happen anytime I lose connection to the Synology NAS, even for a second where the volumes go offline then come back online and DPM can still see the storage and the server can see the storage as well.

Below is a standard error I get from anything that is on the volume that get's disconnected.

An unexpected error occurred on DPM server machine during a VSS operation. (ID 207 Details: VssError:The shadow copy provider had an error. Check the System and Application event logs for more information.
     (0x80042306))

I have done vssadmin list writers and vssadmin list providers and everything looks fine. I've rebooted and still errors when trying to synchronize or do a consistency check. I'm at a loss on what to do now... There are errors in the even log but they are the same thing DPM is telling me and nothing is specific that would lead me to a solution...

I'm about to upgrade to DPM 2012 R2 from SP1 but want to clear all the errors before I go through that. Any suggestions on troubleshooting or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Monday, November 18, 2013 5:19 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Look to see if you have the following VSS errors in the Windows Application log.

ComputerName      : dpm01.contoso.com
    SourceName        : VSS
    EventCode         : 12289
    Message           : Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error DeviceIoControl(\\?\Volume{97823f6b-e259-11e2-93fe-6cf049017635} - 00000000000003FC,0x0053c06c,000000BCC1213070,0,000000BCC1214080,4096,[0]).  hr = 0x80070005, Access is denied.

If so the most probable cause and solution can be found in this post.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a39af676-2c51-41e3-82de-aae8b73550d8/vss-error-id-12289-in-the-event-log?forum=dataprotectionmanager

UPDATE 1-14-14

The Windows group has released a preventive fix for this issue. Please install to avoid future outages.

WINDOWS PREVENTATIVE FIXES
    =====================
    VSS software provider error when you use DPM to back up a Windows 8 or Windows Server 2012-based computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2914152

2929881 0x80070005 error when you run DPM jobs in Windows Server 2012 R2
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2929881/EN-US

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 12:50 AM
  • Actually Mike, thank you for posting in the other thread. That is a much better solution for me than just deleting the replicas and starting over. It worked for me, without even changing anything in the scripts. Backups are back on track now.... I wonder why Microsoft hasn't built something like that in to help resolve errors... Anyways, it was the best answer I think we are gonna get for now.

Marking as the answer for you. Great job and thanks again. Saved me a TON of time.

p.s. for those reading this, go to that link and read the post by Mike about the 3 scripts. Do it just like he posts and it should work for you too.
    • Edited by Adam.Morris Tuesday, November 19, 2013 3:08 PM Update about the answer
    Tuesday, November 19, 2013 2:52 PM