Windows 7 app compability RRS feed

• Question

• I have seen several threads from people asking for help to get Halo2 to run on Windows 7.  According to MSFT Halo 2 is W7 compatible.  But some techs and moderators do not seem to share that stance. 

After reading threads that span over several months... questions are still unanswered.  What is really troubling is that some moderators are blaming ATI and NVIDIA cards.  Well I hate to say it but somewhere around 70-80% of gamers use these brands. These brands embody game compatibility.  It is their bread and butter. 

Same machine with Nvidia card Halo2 works great on Vista... but on W7 boot it will not install completely.  Again moderators blame customers of MSFT or card makers...  What is troubling to me is that NO ONE seems to have a clue what the problem is...  Is there anyone knowledgeable at MSFT that cares enough to help solve this problem of MSFT software compatibility with MSFT OS?

Frustrated with clayfoot monster  ( I like W7 immensely!)

Thursday, July 22, 2010 1:41 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet forums.

What is the exact error message received during installation of Halo2? Please check the application installation log ( C:\Windows\INF\setupapi.app.log ) and check the Event Viewer (Type: eventvwr.exe in the Start Search box, open Event Viewer, expand Windows Logs, click on Application), see if any error message is logged.

As Windows Compatibility Center says, Halo2 is compatible with Windows 7. I am assuming that there might be some process conflicting with Halo2 during installation. I would like to suggest you performing the following options:

1.     Clean Boot the system to install.

2.     Update your graphic driver the latest version.

3.     Restart Windows Installer:

1)    Click Start and Type 'cmd' (without quotes) in the search bar, then run it as Administrator.

2)    Close all the programs before moving to the following steps.

3)    In command prompt, type 'msiexec /unregister' (without quotes and with a space between msiexec and /unregister)and press enter.

4)    Type 'msiexec /regserver' (without quotes and with a space between msiexec and /regserver)and press enter.

5)    Type 'net stop msiserver' (without quotes and with spaces between net and stop {and} stop and msiserver)and press enter.

6)    Type 'net start msiserver' (without quotes and with spaces between net and start {and} stop and msiserver).

4.     Run the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool to remove specific, prevalent malicious software from computers.

Meanwhile, I recommend you to contact Halo2 for support as well. You can either post questions in Halo2 forums or contact Halo2 via phone.

Best Regards

Dale Qiao
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Sunday, July 25, 2010 6:20 AM
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 7:22 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet forums.

What is the exact error message received during installation of Halo2? Please check the application installation log ( C:\Windows\INF\setupapi.app.log ) and check the Event Viewer (Type: eventvwr.exe in the Start Search box, open Event Viewer, expand Windows Logs, click on Application), see if any error message is logged.

As Windows Compatibility Center says, Halo2 is compatible with Windows 7. I am assuming that there might be some process conflicting with Halo2 during installation. I would like to suggest you performing the following options:

1.     Clean Boot the system to install.

2.     Update your graphic driver the latest version.

3.     Restart Windows Installer:

1)    Click Start and Type 'cmd' (without quotes) in the search bar, then run it as Administrator.

2)    Close all the programs before moving to the following steps.

3)    In command prompt, type 'msiexec /unregister' (without quotes and with a space between msiexec and /unregister)and press enter.

4)    Type 'msiexec /regserver' (without quotes and with a space between msiexec and /regserver)and press enter.

5)    Type 'net stop msiserver' (without quotes and with spaces between net and stop {and} stop and msiserver)and press enter.

6)    Type 'net start msiserver' (without quotes and with spaces between net and start {and} stop and msiserver).

4.     Run the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool to remove specific, prevalent malicious software from computers.

Meanwhile, I recommend you to contact Halo2 for support as well. You can either post questions in Halo2 forums or contact Halo2 via phone.

Best Regards

Dale Qiao
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Sunday, July 25, 2010 6:20 AM
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 7:22 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios. If the issue still persists, please feel free to  reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.
    BTW,  we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Best Regards
    Dale Qiao
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Sunday, July 25, 2010 6:20 AM