outbound messages from hub to edge server

Question

•  

Hello,

I am having a problem where my new exchange 2007 set up is not transfering outbound messages from the hub to my edge server.  I can recieve inbound messages to my internal mailboxes, but anything that I try to send outbound backs up in the edge-synce queue on the hub server.  I set up the edge subscription, and everything else is default.  I have checked the firewall between the 2 servers, and ports 25, 50636, and 50389 are open. 

All settings are default, as we are not yet sure what settings we will be using since this is still a development/test environment.

Thursday, August 21, 2008 3:32 PM

Answers

• As I have been working on this for about a week now, I decided to just go ahead and rebuild both servers.  I'm not sure why, but it is working now.  Everything is still default, and I didn't change anything on my firewall. 

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 1:21 PM

All replies

• What happens if you run "telnet <edge server fqdn> 25" from your HUB server?

Do Edge server answer? I am thinking of name resolution problem here.

Saturday, August 23, 2008 9:56 AM
  • with the telnet from hub to edge I can get both outbound and inbound messages to go through.  If I telnet into the Hub server from the Hub server itself or from the edge server, I cannot get outbound messages to go.  I can get internal (email for my domain) to work, but nothing outbound.  I have checked the name resolution by pinging the server name of the edge server from the hub server, and it has resolved correctly to the IP everytime, so I don't think it is a DNS problem.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 1:37 AM
  • Have you checked Event viewer on the Hub Servers? Any related event log on there? Additionaly, please let me know if Edge sync is fine, run Test-EdgeSynchronization to test it.

Please telnet Edge Server from Hub sever on 25 port again and input EHLO to reveals all ESMTP verbs. Let me know the result since I doubt your firewall may have blocked certain ESMTP verbs.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/295725

-Jason

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 8:42 AM
  • As I have been working on this for about a week now, I decided to just go ahead and rebuild both servers.  I'm not sure why, but it is working now.  Everything is still default, and I didn't change anything on my firewall. 

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 1:21 PM