Windows XP Setup fails with BSOD RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to rebuild a computer with a defective hard drive and decided it is time to try a SSD.  When I boot the computer using a Windows XP Pro Installation Disk I get the BSOD with the following stop code:

*** STOP: 0X0000007B (0XF78D6528, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

Prior to trying to boot the installation CD I did run the System Rescue CD (SRCD) to partition the drive per some advice received about insuring the partition alignment is optimal for the SSD.  The SRCD boots up and runs fine at least as far as the minimal amount of processing required to run GParted and create partitions is concerned.  I've also tried running different installation disks that failed identically.  Furthermore, I do use BartPE which allows booting a minimal XP system from a CD.  What I like about BartPE is that it seems to boot successfully on anything (at least a dozen different computers of all makes and models that I've owned).  However, BartPE produces the exact same Stop Error.

In addition to SRCD, I was also able to boot WinPE 3.  When I attempt to execute the setup program from the XP installation disks, while running under WinPE, setup does start without error, unlike when trying to boot the installation disk.  However, the option to perform an installation is greyed out and cannot be selected.  The other options which can be selected do nothing.  In that this pretty much leads to a complete dead end.

The SSD is a Samsung 850 EVO 250GB.  According to the Samsung website there are no special drivers.  The only software they provide are some migration aids that are pretty useless with only a defective hard drive as well as something called Magician which could be used after getting the OS installed.

Are there any ideas?

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 8:17 PM

All replies

• I removed the SSD from the system.  The same problem occurs without it.  Therefore, it seems that it is WXP that doesn't like this computer.  It is a commercially available HP computer for which I have been able to download all of the WXP drivers that are pretty worthless absent the means to install them.

Is it possible that some BIOS settings that work fine after appropriate drivers are installed could have such an affect when the drivers are not present?

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 7:54 PM
  • A little more research reveals that it is possible that a BIOS setting that apparently works fine after WXP is installed, and the necessary drivers are added, but won't work with an out-of-box WXP installation disk.  The BIOS setting that is causing the problem pertains to Advanced Host Control Interface (AHCI).  Here is an article which explains AHCI in sufficient detail to explain what is going wrong.  The computer I'm working on has a setting called SATA Mode which is set to "AHCI" but can be set to "IDE".  When set to "IDE" the WXP installation disk works normally.
    Saturday, May 9, 2015 11:51 PM