none
How to force shortcut to use IE when not default RRS feed

Answers

• Hi ,

Create a IE shortcut on the desktop. Right click the IE shortcut. click properties.

In the target line, then add space and the URL you want it to open.

Example:

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" www.microsoft.com

Tracy Cai

TechNet Community Support

Monday, June 18, 2012 8:28 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

Create a IE shortcut on the desktop. Right click the IE shortcut. click properties.

In the target line, then add space and the URL you want it to open.

Example:

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" www.microsoft.com

Tracy Cai

TechNet Community Support

Monday, June 18, 2012 8:28 AM
  •  How to force a shortcut to use IE when another browser is the default.

You would have to encode it as an explicit Desktop shortcut (e.g. .lnk file) instead of as an Internet Shortcut (assuming the other browser would take over  .url  file extension association).   Maybe simpler just to try opening the IE window and dragging the shortcut to it.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, June 18, 2012 10:05 PM
  • One potential problem with this method is that on 64-bit systems, this will use the 64-bit version of IE.
    Wednesday, October 24, 2012 3:44 PM
  • That will work for a desktop shortcut, but what about a webpage URL link? Any suggestions?

MooseMan

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 9:00 PM
  • what about a webpage URL link? Any suggestions?
    Have you tried the dragging idea yet?

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 3:37 AM
  • Just do what Tracy said above but don't create the shortcut first. 

Right click on the desktop, choose, New, shortcut, at this point in the location box (before creating the shortcut) add the line "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" http:www.weather.com, click next, type a name for the shortcut and click finish. I just did this in win 8.1 64bit and it works.

• Proposed as answer by o0rob_west0o Tuesday, March 10, 2015 9:35 PM
    Tuesday, March 10, 2015 9:35 PM
  • This did not work for me and I tried it with and without quotes but default browser CHROME must be adding HTTP in front of the "C:\Program Files\ etc." no mater what i do. HELP

Monday, July 13, 2015 2:13 PM
  • Does not work for me. When  I hit APPLY, then open it I notice it keeps putting an HTTP: in front of the "C:\Program Files
    • Proposed as answer by Frank Kirk Wednesday, July 22, 2015 2:52 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Frank Kirk Wednesday, July 22, 2015 2:52 PM
    Monday, July 13, 2015 2:14 PM
  • Chrome is my default browser. I need a webpage to open up in IE when I log on. How I got it to work was to go to C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer right click on iexplore.exe, send to Desktop (create shortcut), right click on newly created shortcut, selected properties, in the shortcut tab i added the url to the end of the value ("C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" ). Hit OK and then tested. Worked. For me, I then added to my startup folder.

hth

• Edited by Frank Kirk Wednesday, July 22, 2015 2:59 PM update
    • Proposed as answer by Oriana Thursday, March 8, 2018 8:18 PM
    Wednesday, July 22, 2015 2:58 PM
  • Your method works super simple - I have (W10 X64) 10.0.10240

My Dlink brand DVR doesn't work with Chrome, but I use Chrome for 99% of everything else, I just needed this one IE shortcut for viewing all my security cams quickly, works like a charm.

• Proposed as answer by ashunt677 Saturday, June 11, 2016 3:43 PM
    Saturday, June 11, 2016 3:09 PM
  • this worked! thanks! 
    Thursday, April 5, 2018 10:19 AM
  • worked for me. As shown, put quotes around the file location, a space, then the URL without quotes.

I need this to refresh the credentials on the explorer mappings to my company sharepoint folders. They stop working every few days, and the only way I've found to rejuvenate them is to open the Sharepoint link in Explorer and let it log in. Then I can go back and use my mappings again. I'm guessing this will eventually stop working and I'll lose explorer access, but the sharepoint interface for file maintenance is just horrible and slow (sigh).

Wednesday, January 8, 2020 7:50 PM