none
How can I prevent users from saving Word docs as Personal using Windows Information Protection? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a question about the capabilities of Windows Information Protection.  Say I have Microsoft Word identified as an app in my WIP policy.  It is enlightened so users can work with either Work or Personal data.  When a user creates a Word doc that contains Work data, say PII, how do I prevent them from saving that doc as a Personal doc so that they can then copy and paste that PII to Twitter or wherever?  Is there a policy that forces Word to save everything as Work data?  This scenario assumes that the user wants to circumvent policy and leak the data because they don't want to be restricted in how they handle the document.

As a follow-up to that, assuming a policy that forces Word to save everything as Work data exists, is there a way that I can still allow the user to create both Personal and Work docs with Word but still somehow enforce saving as Work data if they are working with PII?  This seems like kind of a long shot to me as I imagine it would have to be able to scan what is being written and just know that the information is PII.

Shane Curtis

Thursday, June 29, 2017 3:29 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

As far as I know, we will need System Center Configuration Manager help us create and deploy your Windows Information Protection (WIP) policy. I suggest discussing it in our SCCM forum. They are the best resource to help you. There is little we can do to help you here. I found a related blog. In this blog, you can see: If the user attempts to copy’s content from this document and paste into another app or a document that is not business related WIP will either warn or block the user depending on IT policy. Yes, it depends on policy. Our experts in sccm forum should be more familiar with Windows Information Protection (WIP) policy, you can ask them.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 30, 2017 7:27 AM