none
2013 Project Professional Report went blank RRS feed

• Question

• I tweaked the Project Overview report in 2013 Project Pro (selected additional fields to display and updated filter to another canned filter). Worked fine for a few days, and now it is blank. I created a new mpp, reimported to PWA, tweaked report again. After a few days, blank again. I thought maybe if there was something wrong with data on schedule the filters couldn't pull data correctly and prevented tables from displaying, but the filters work fine from Task Sheet view. Reports that I did not tweak seem to be working fine. Any suggested root causes?
    Thursday, December 11, 2014 6:34 PM

All replies

• Hi TonyPM--

Before digging into it, have you upgraded your Project Pro 2013 to SP1?

Here are the links for 32bits and 64bits versions.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Thursday, December 11, 2014 7:26 PM
  • Here is a suggestion. Don't "tweak" the built-in reports to start with. Or at least avoid tweaking them very much. It is much better housekeeping policy to copy an existing report that is close to what you want, and then save the copy with a distinctive name such as "AA My New Report" and then do what you like to the copy. Then the only thing that can get broken is your new report.

I would also recommend that you apply the same housekeeping policy to all of the built-in views, tables, filters, groups, calendars, and whatever else is on the tabs in the organiser.

It is practically impossible to leave everything as original. Even changing the width of a column in a table, which is a practical necessity, changes the design of the table "on the fly", but if it can be avoided then avoid it.

Because the built-in reports call up built-in tables and filters, if you change (tweak) the tables and filters you simultaneously change (or possibly wreck) the reports which call them as well. This is why I always recommend not inserting or hiding columns in the entry table. Of course, everyone does it anyway.

If you do change a view, table, etc then copy it to a new name and recover the clean one from the global template. Of course, don't over-write the stuff in the global template or you won't have clean stuff to recover.

Thursday, December 11, 2014 11:01 PM
  • Appreciate the suggestions. SP1 has already been installed. I created a new report and we'll see how that goes and will respond. Thank you.
    Friday, December 12, 2014 3:41 PM
  • New report went blank after a few days of use. Used all stock filters without any tweaking. What could cause the data not to display?
    Tuesday, December 16, 2014 6:47 PM
  • TonyPM,

please imagine how difficult it is for anyone to come up with an answer to your question without seeing your file.

I once read that studying quantum physics is like being allowed to look at the chess board of a game in progress for 1 minute every twenty minutes and from that information decipher what the rules of chess are.

Answering questions here is like that, except one has to be telepathic as well.

Send the file trevorATperfectproject.com.au

Thursday, December 18, 2014 4:09 AM