RDS CALs in Azure RRS feed

• Question

• How do I install RDS user CALs in Azure server on a workgroup (without Active Directory)? Does it still work without tracking????

Friday, September 18, 2020 10:23 AM

All replies

• I've managed to get RDS User CAL's working on a lab server in Azure without AD. It just doesn't track login sessions but allows more than 2 sessions to remote in. Seems to be fine. But is this legitimate? If Microsoft audit this server if it is in production will it be fine? How will we prove we are adequately licensed for RDS? Do they look at the local accounts with Remote User privileges?

Please advise. Rolling out an entire AD server for a single application server in Azure shared by no more than 10 to 15 users seems to be wasteful cost so I need to know asap! Apparently RDS device CALs are not allowed on Azure. The RDS user CALs are expensive as is, over R1000 annual per user via CSP!

Or I could just install AD/RDS/App on a single server but apparently that is not advised.

By the way is there not a simpler solution for this? 

• Edited by JonnoZA85 Friday, September 18, 2020 12:36 PM
    Friday, September 18, 2020 12:09 PM
  • Hi,

in a workgroup scenario, you are only allowed to use Device CALs which should be checked out and tracked without issue regardless of where the license server is located as long as terminal servers are able to communicate with it.

Evgenij Smirnov

http://evgenij.smirnov.de

Friday, September 18, 2020 12:16 PM
  • Thanks Evgenij. So it looks like an AD server is mandatory to get RDS working in Azure, because apparently RDS device CALs are not allowed in Azure. That is such a pity  :(  :(

Would you maybe know if there's any other solutions for the small business market who want to run just a single application server in Azure and have multiple users log on to it?

I think RDS CAL is mandatory but I was hoping to at least save the additional expense for the AD server as well, anything I can do to make Azure more attractive to smaller clients cost and management wise especially with working from home becoming the norm.

This licensing stuff makes this so inaccessible! Not only cost but complexity wise. You can't even google this and get thrown a bunch unclear instructions, SAL this and SPUR that and SPLA that, notwithstanding all the different types of RDS CAL purchase methods. Very frustrating. Spent hours and hours trying to figure it out. It should not be this difficult @Microsoft!

• Edited by JonnoZA85 Friday, September 18, 2020 12:39 PM
    Friday, September 18, 2020 12:23 PM