locked
Removing a site from Enterprise Model XML list for IE 11 does not disable enterprise mode for that site RRS feed

  • Question

  • We are using Group Policy to issue an XML file with a list of sites for IE 11 to load in Enterprise mode.  We added our payroll company site because they were not compatible with IE 11, now they are ONLY compatible with IE 11.  I removed their URL from the XML list over a week ago, but all company computers are still loading it in Enterprise mode.  I can have everyone turn it off manually, but the problem is they use so many subdomains that everyone would have to do it numerous times.  Why is that happening?  I need to force this site and its subdomains to NOT load in Enterprise Mode.  It seems that when the URL was removed from the XML list it no longer forced it, but it also did not remove that setting.

     
    Monday, May 11, 2015 1:01 PM

Answers

  • Hi,

    No event error doesn't indicate the policy is applied fine. If the new configuration didn't work, the most probably reason was the group policy was not applied.

    You could rest your Internet Explorer 11 and then restart the compute to check the result.

    If it still doesn't work, run "gpresult /h gpreport.html" command to saves the report in HTML format with the file name "gpreport.html" at C:\Windows\System32\ directory.

    Open this file to check if this group policy was applied successfully.


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    Friday, May 15, 2015 7:35 AM
  • When you edited the EMIE XML file, did you use EMSLM ?
    If so, the "version" within the XML file should have been incremented, which is what instructs IE to reload the XML file and apply it.

    Alternatively (I haven't tested this scenario personally), perhaps you may need to re-declare that site/subdomain as "default" mode ?

    I agree that this has absolutely nothing to do with Group Policy ;)


    Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

    Friday, May 15, 2015 8:59 AM

All replies

  • Hi,

    From the information of yours, I suspect the new group policy doesn't apply successfully.

    Please run "gpupdate /force" on client to check the result.

    If the issue still persists, follow this guide to check your configuration:

    10 Common Problems Causing Group Policy To Not Apply

    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/22457.10-common-problems-causing-group-policy-to-not-apply.aspx


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    Tuesday, May 12, 2015 2:56 AM
  • It does seem to be applying.  I don't get any GP errors in the event log when forcing an update.  Also, absolutely nothing has changed in my group policies since I added that line in the enterprise mode xml file that successfully enabled enterprise mode for that URL.  The problem seems to be with IE 11's behavior to not change back the default settings for that particular URL.
    Tuesday, May 12, 2015 2:38 PM
  • Hi,

    No event error doesn't indicate the policy is applied fine. If the new configuration didn't work, the most probably reason was the group policy was not applied.

    You could rest your Internet Explorer 11 and then restart the compute to check the result.

    If it still doesn't work, run "gpresult /h gpreport.html" command to saves the report in HTML format with the file name "gpreport.html" at C:\Windows\System32\ directory.

    Open this file to check if this group policy was applied successfully.


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    Friday, May 15, 2015 7:35 AM
  • When you edited the EMIE XML file, did you use EMSLM ?
    If so, the "version" within the XML file should have been incremented, which is what instructs IE to reload the XML file and apply it.

    Alternatively (I haven't tested this scenario personally), perhaps you may need to re-declare that site/subdomain as "default" mode ?

    I agree that this has absolutely nothing to do with Group Policy ;)


    Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

    Friday, May 15, 2015 8:59 AM
  • What I did In my lab scenario when the same problem arose, I copied the site list content created a new xml site list pasted them with with the modified one using EMSLM, modified the GPO with the new file name,and then updated GPO.

    I go to web browser, press Ctrl+shift+delete --> delete temporary files--> restart IE11

    Which solves my issue many times.

    "whenever the issue arises I create a new xml site list"

    Though bit time consuming it works.


    • Edited by Dhanraj B Saturday, March 26, 2016 6:21 AM
    Tuesday, March 15, 2016 8:44 AM