Central Administration - ReportServerWebApp - Requested registry access is not allowed. RRS feed

• Question

• My sharepoint integrated reports have stopped running - I think I inadvertently switched the logon account for it, but now I can't seem to get it back up no matter what I do.  I keep running into the following error below whenever I try to click on: Manage Reporting Services Application -  ReportingServicesWebApp -> System Settings

I have taken the following steps:

1. delete the encryption keys, like it says I should do below, but that doesn't fix it. 
    2. Per other posts, made sure WSS_ADMIN_WPG has full control of the registry keys under LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office Services\14.0

I am out of ideas at this point.  Please help!

Error

The report server cannot decrypt the symmetric key that is used to access sensitive or encrypted data in a report server database. You must either restore a backup key or delete all encrypted content. ---> Microsoft.ReportingServices.Library.ReportServerDisabledException: The report server cannot decrypt the symmetric key that is used to access sensitive or encrypted data in a report server database. You must either restore a backup key or delete all encrypted content. ---> System.Security.SecurityException: Requested registry access is not allowed.

Thursday, March 1, 2012 10:18 PM

All replies

•  

Hi  PKilkenny,

Have you ever backup the encryption before you delete ?  you should press ‘Restore’ button instead of ‘Delete’ button. After you delete, you should to reset the connection strings and stored credentials on your reports.

Thanks,

Jack

Monday, March 5, 2012 6:13 AM
  • Unfortunatetly in my case I did not backup the encryption before changing the service logon, which I know is a big problem, but I only have a few reports stored on the server so I wasn't too concerned.  I have deleted the encryption keys, created new ones, and backed up those keys.  I'm still confused why "Manage Reporting Services Application ->  ReportingServicesWebApp -> System Settings" causes the error.
    Monday, March 5, 2012 6:56 PM
  • Not a regular here...sorry if this is coming in late.

As the error shows, it is an access denied on a registry entry. A Process Monitor http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx trace can show which registry key needs permissions for the service account of the SSRS service.

Usually, it could be this -

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\Reporting Services\Service Applications

A brute force change to permissions at HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server by adding the desired user with Read (propagated to child folders) could show if that's all that is required.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 7:32 AM