none
Resource assignment RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I was wondering why Project creates a conflict right off the bat in the example below:

Task 1     2 hrs work  assigned to Jack and jane

Task 2     .5 hrs work assigned to Jack

It creates both tasks starting at 8:00 AM today (10/31/11) and right away Jack is overallocated.

My question is: why? and is it a bug and do I have to manually move a task a few minutes after the first ends?

Monday, October 31, 2011 9:50 PM

Answers

• Hi jp-pm,

It would have helped if you would have informed us about the version because this is handled differently in 2010 from all previous versions.

First, suppose both tasks are meetings, then Jack does have a problem hasn't he? Most probably he does not have the gift of bilocation. So that is why Project considers that an overallocation. My question to you is why don't you consider this an overallocation? Probably because in your world the day is the most common time unit? Project's one and only time unit is the minute so this is an overallocation.

Nobody has to move tasks because of overallocation. Either you do not consider a problem and you simply ignore it, or you use resource leveling with a fine enough granularity and Leveing will postpone one of the tasks.

Now for the good news. In Leveling options you can define a granularity, let's say day by day. Then, in 2007, in REsource views Indicators column you will not see the yellow diamond with the exclametion mark which indicates "this is an overallocation even when besed in the leveling setting". And even better in 2010, with the day by day setting it will not even be flagged as an overallocation.

Hope this helps!

Monday, October 31, 2011 10:13 PM
  • Project can do all the things you list.  Look into Resource Leveling options, and also the Task inspector and the Team Planner.

While I do not recommend you use Automatic Leveling, the option does exist.

Also, when you see the red indicator of overallocation, you can right-click on the indicator and then choose if and how you would like Project to fix the problem.

Reid McTaggart Partner DeltaBahn LLC
    Monday, October 31, 2011 10:47 PM

All replies

• Hi jp-pm,

It would have helped if you would have informed us about the version because this is handled differently in 2010 from all previous versions.

First, suppose both tasks are meetings, then Jack does have a problem hasn't he? Most probably he does not have the gift of bilocation. So that is why Project considers that an overallocation. My question to you is why don't you consider this an overallocation? Probably because in your world the day is the most common time unit? Project's one and only time unit is the minute so this is an overallocation.

Nobody has to move tasks because of overallocation. Either you do not consider a problem and you simply ignore it, or you use resource leveling with a fine enough granularity and Leveing will postpone one of the tasks.

Now for the good news. In Leveling options you can define a granularity, let's say day by day. Then, in 2007, in REsource views Indicators column you will not see the yellow diamond with the exclametion mark which indicates "this is an overallocation even when besed in the leveling setting". And even better in 2010, with the day by day setting it will not even be flagged as an overallocation.

Hope this helps!

Monday, October 31, 2011 10:13 PM
  • Hi Jan,

I didn't mean to leave out the version (10)!  ;-)

I am simply asking why project did not automatically assign the second task after the first, since the resource was being used in two places and there had to be a conflict.  In this case, it would've been nice and easy if project would have said: Hey, do you want to still keep these resource (in conflict) at the same time or would you like me to move the task a minute or two after the first one, or would you like to assign a different resource if this needs to get done at this time?

-pm

Monday, October 31, 2011 10:21 PM
  • Project can do all the things you list.  Look into Resource Leveling options, and also the Task inspector and the Team Planner.

While I do not recommend you use Automatic Leveling, the option does exist.

Also, when you see the red indicator of overallocation, you can right-click on the indicator and then choose if and how you would like Project to fix the problem.

Reid McTaggart Partner DeltaBahn LLC
    Monday, October 31, 2011 10:47 PM
  • Thank you all.

jp-pm

Monday, October 31, 2011 10:50 PM