none
Bitlocker - Used Disk Space to full disk encryption RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Just a quick question (out of curiosity): Is it possible to go from "Used Disk Space" to "Full Encryption"?
    Or do you always need to decrypt and encrypt again?

Thanks!

Sunday, October 11, 2015 3:30 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I tried on a Windows 8.1 system and as you said it seems that we have to turn it off to re-start the encryption to change to Full Disk. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 2:56 AM

All replies

• Do you mean that you have disk which has mode files inside and you want to know that does it possible to encrypt this Drive or not?

If you mean this that YES. it's possible/

If not pls. explain what exactly you need.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Sincerely!

Khalid Garayev

* Please don't forget to mark as answer or Vote if it helps!

Sunday, October 11, 2015 5:53 PM
  • Hi Khalid, Thanks for the reply. I mean that you can encrypt a drive with bitlocker using a "full" disk encryption or "used disk space" encryption. I would like to know if you can switch between them on the fly or you need to decrypt first before you can encrypt with the other mode? Thanks!!
    Sunday, October 11, 2015 6:41 PM
  • Encryption is applies to whole partition. Not to the specified size. For encryption with bitlocker you are creating partitions:

Here is the link for step by step bitlocker configuration. Hope it will help you to better understrand how it works.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Sincerely!

Khalid Garayev

* Please don't forget to mark as answer or Vote if it helps!

Sunday, October 11, 2015 7:32 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, Khalid. I'm aware you enable bitlocker for an entire partition and not just a portion of the drive.

But when enabling bitlocker you can choose to perform a full encyption of the entire disk or only encrypt the used space. When data is written to the disk, it gets encrypted on the fly. The advantage is that initial encryption is much faster due to the fact it's only encrypting the used space. More information can be found here.

My question is that when you enable bitlocker for the C-Drive with the option "only used space", is it possible to revert to "full disk encryption" if you would like to change this in the future.

Looking at the GPO's for Bitlocker at the section 'Enforce drive encryption type on fixed data drives' it states that you can control the method of encryption (full/used space) at the moment bitlocker is applied.

This suggests that you can only choose the method for the initial encryption. So you would have to decrypt and encrypt the drive again with the other method of encryption if you would like to change.. Can someone confirm this?

• Edited by Silencer0001 Sunday, October 11, 2015 8:07 PM additional information
    Sunday, October 11, 2015 8:02 PM
  • Hi,

I tried on a Windows 8.1 system and as you said it seems that we have to turn it off to re-start the encryption to change to Full Disk. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 2:56 AM
  • Thanks for replying and verifying this!!
    Wednesday, October 14, 2015 9:09 PM