Licensing Office Web Apps for editing RRS feed

• Question

• I have been tasked with getting Office Web Apps configured to work with our SharePoint 2013 environment.  I am not the SharePoint admin; I will be coordinating with the SP admin to get this to work.

We currently have an Office Web Apps farm (2 servers) that I set up 3 years ago to support our Lync 2013 server farm.  I want to use this existing Office Web Apps farm with SharePoint as well as with Lync.

The existing OWA farm does not have editing enabled, so I assume that needs to be enabled before I involve the SP admin.  I can use Set-OfficeWebAppsFarm and set EditingEnabled to $true, but the documentation states that it should be set to True only if we have the appropriate licensing.  Other documentation tells me that the licensing is available through a Volume Licensing agreement, which we do have.

However, I am not finding any documentation that tells me HOW to download and apply the licensing for enabling editing on the existing Office Web Apps server.  What specifically do I need to do to allow editing?

Thank you very much for your help.

Monday, December 12, 2016 4:43 PM

Answers

• You have to determine it by the license assignment. OWA does not do any form of license validation. If you were audited by Microsoft, you'd have to show that each user who used OWA had an appropriate Office client license.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marked as answer by Logan Burt Monday, December 12, 2016 5:35 PM
    Monday, December 12, 2016 5:34 PM

All replies

• There's nothing to download. Just enable it. All of your users who have access to OWA must have Office 2013 Pro (or 2016) licenses.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Monday, December 12, 2016 5:15 PM
  • Thank you for responding.

While we have a volume license that allows us to load Office 2013, most of our user workstations still have Office 2010 installed rather than 2013.  We wanted to use the Office Web Apps server to allow those workstations without Office 2013 installed to still be able to view and edit documents created in Office 2013 and save documents edited that way as Office 2013 documents.

Does OWA not allow this?

Thank you again.

Monday, December 12, 2016 5:21 PM
  • As long as your users are licensed with Office 2013+, they're fine (even if you're running a down-level version of Office).

Trevor Seward

Monday, December 12, 2016 5:23 PM
  • Thank you.  Do I need to push anything out to these workstations to verify that they are licensed for Office 2013, or is that central to the OWA server?
    Monday, December 12, 2016 5:32 PM
  • You have to determine it by the license assignment. OWA does not do any form of license validation. If you were audited by Microsoft, you'd have to show that each user who used OWA had an appropriate Office client license.

Trevor Seward

• Marked as answer by Logan Burt Monday, December 12, 2016 5:35 PM
    Monday, December 12, 2016 5:34 PM
  • Thank you!  I really appreciate the help and information.
    Monday, December 12, 2016 5:35 PM