5.1 java app max heapsize RRS feed

• General discussion

• I was wandering if anyone else encountered the same issue I'm facing. We are currently upgrading our AppV5 environment to 5.1, and therefore we test all our apps (basic tests). Almost all apps work fine, but a handful of them fail to start. After some further investigation it seems the same issue with every single app. They are all java applications, which use a custom max heapsize setting (like -Xmx1024m). Only these apps crash. If I manualy set the heapsize below 734Mb the app works fine.
    As soon as I downgrade the client to SP2 of SP3 (whatever hotfix), the issue does not occur. Only on a 5.1 client (with or without hf1 or 2). The RDS client shows the same issue. If no one else seen this issue, I'm going to rise a ticket.
    I have not yet tried to resequence them with the 5.1 sequencer, that's something Ill do later this week.

Roy Essers

• Edited by Roy Essers Monday, March 14, 2016 12:55 AM
    Monday, March 14, 2016 12:53 AM

All replies

• Let us know what happens after re-sequencing.  I'm very interested.
    Monday, March 14, 2016 11:13 PM
  • @RoyWill test this scenario in my lab and let you know.

(Please click on Vote as Helpful and/or Mark as Answer, if it has helped you.)

app2pack.blogspot.com: app2pack.blogspot.com

Tuesday, March 15, 2016 4:41 AM
  • Looks like one to watch out for. Is it obvious from the crash that it's to do with the heapsize setting, otherwise what does the crash look like?

Dan Gough
    Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Tuesday, March 15, 2016 10:50 AM
  • I resequenced one of the apps with the 5.1 sequencer, same issue.
    The error, is the default java virtual machine error:

Nothing more, and it shuts down.

Roy Essers

Tuesday, March 15, 2016 3:04 PM
  • I opened a case with MS.... I forgot to mention, this is on a 64-bit OS.
    I did some further testing, this time with the opensource java tool Freemind. Still the same issue, sequencing to PVAD or VFS (even java in PVAD) does not change a bit. The only thing that solves the issue is using a 64-bit java client inside the package.

Roy Essers

Thursday, March 17, 2016 11:38 PM
  • OK another update, MS could reproduce the issue. They gave us a patch which solved the issue. Hopefully it will get included in a hotfix soon. Keep you posted!

Roy Essers

Wednesday, March 30, 2016 6:44 PM
  • @Roy,

Good to know that it got resolved and there will be a HF available soon :)

(Please click on Vote as Helpful and/or Mark as Answer, if it has helped you.)

app2pack.blogspot.com: app2pack.blogspot.com

Thursday, March 31, 2016 4:22 AM
  • I came across this same issue today. @Roy is this interim patch publicly available?
    Tuesday, April 12, 2016 9:09 PM
  • Unfortunately there is not. I think you need to file in a ticket.
    There are 2 other workaround though (if supported by your software vendor ofc):

1) Decrease the maxheapsize below 730Mb
    2) use a x64 java client instead of the x86 one.

Roy Essers

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 9:29 PM
  • thanks for your response @Roy but no worries we'll speak to Microsoft as the other options we have already tried TNA :(
    Tuesday, April 12, 2016 10:02 PM
  • Hotfix4 for AppV 5.1 is available which solves this issue. Check the following article: KB3155806

Roy Essers

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 12:23 PM