none
Articles moved from Nokia Developer Wiki generated clone and crazy articles RRS feed

Answers

• Ed, that is a great idea, for Sara to create the Wiki articles herself (based on her Nokia articles), then tag the corresponding migrated articles for deletion. I like it. Then she becomes the author.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Tuesday, December 30, 2014 2:35 AM
  • I don't think you should be disappointed. There was no way to contact you. There was no way to migrate the articles under your name.

The choices were to either close down hundreds of fantastic wiki articles or to migrate them to TechNet Wiki.

I think the right choice was made!

We're still looking at automating some edits to those articles to get all the photos moved and links updated.

The solution is simple. Sara, Paulo, or whoever the original author is, should recreate each article herself/himself (this is what our vendor had to do). Then the author gets credit for each of those articles, which is pretty awesome if you did 69 of them! Think of the stats boost, Recognition Points, and Achievement Medals! Pretty sweet!

And you can help format your own articles so they don't have the crazy look anymore.

You can also spread some out across a few months for the Guru awards and rake in the awards! You can game XAML Guy's system! =^)

It's not really gaming the system, because you can do this with old blog posts now anyway (if you do that, please change the voice to a wiki voice instead of first person).

Once you have each new article done, I would tag the old ones with "Candidate for Deletion" and simply send us your list of all the old URLs for the articles that need to be deleted (basically replaced by your new versions). You can put the list of URLs here in this forum thread, or in a new forum thread. Then ping Peter Geelen and me on Skype if we don't see it.

The normal process is you comment on each old page, link to the new version, and explain the request for deletion. But you can just tag the old ones, send us your list of URLs in this forum (or on Skype) and save some time that way.

Pretty simple! And definitely worth the pain, since the alternative was to lose all those great Nokia articles!

Ed Price, Azure & Power BI Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Monday, December 29, 2014 11:40 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Me too!

I was paulo.morgado on Nokia Developer Wiki.

Paulo Morgado

Sunday, December 28, 2014 10:35 PM
  • At this moment is possible to read at the front page

http://developer.nokia.com/community/wiki/Wiki_Home

"Sara has contributed a total of 69 articles to the Developer Wiki. She writes in both in English and in Portuguese. "

is not 2 or 3 articles :(

Updated

Sara Silva - Microsoft Visual C# MVP
    My blog | My Windows 8 Store Apps Samples | More Samples
    Follow me in Twitter @saramgsilva

My Windows 8 Store Apps: Female Pill | Galinho (Tic tac Toe) | 24 | My Snake
    My Windows Phone Apps

• Edited by saramgsilva Sunday, December 28, 2014 10:44 PM
    Sunday, December 28, 2014 10:39 PM
  • and the images are still pointing to the Nokia Developer Wiki.

Paulo Morgado

Sunday, December 28, 2014 10:53 PM
  • I don't think you should be disappointed. There was no way to contact you. There was no way to migrate the articles under your name.

The choices were to either close down hundreds of fantastic wiki articles or to migrate them to TechNet Wiki.

I think the right choice was made!

We're still looking at automating some edits to those articles to get all the photos moved and links updated.

The solution is simple. Sara, Paulo, or whoever the original author is, should recreate each article herself/himself (this is what our vendor had to do). Then the author gets credit for each of those articles, which is pretty awesome if you did 69 of them! Think of the stats boost, Recognition Points, and Achievement Medals! Pretty sweet!

And you can help format your own articles so they don't have the crazy look anymore.

You can also spread some out across a few months for the Guru awards and rake in the awards! You can game XAML Guy's system! =^)

It's not really gaming the system, because you can do this with old blog posts now anyway (if you do that, please change the voice to a wiki voice instead of first person).

Once you have each new article done, I would tag the old ones with "Candidate for Deletion" and simply send us your list of all the old URLs for the articles that need to be deleted (basically replaced by your new versions). You can put the list of URLs here in this forum thread, or in a new forum thread. Then ping Peter Geelen and me on Skype if we don't see it.

The normal process is you comment on each old page, link to the new version, and explain the request for deletion. But you can just tag the old ones, send us your list of URLs in this forum (or on Skype) and save some time that way.

Pretty simple! And definitely worth the pain, since the alternative was to lose all those great Nokia articles!

Ed Price, Azure & Power BI Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Monday, December 29, 2014 11:40 PM
    Owner
  • Me too!

I was paulo.morgado on Nokia Developer Wiki.

Paulo Morgado

Is there a profile page you can link to?

Monday, December 29, 2014 11:41 PM
    Owner
  • At this moment is possible to read at the front page

http://developer.nokia.com/community/wiki/Wiki_Home

"Sara has contributed a total of 69 articles to the Developer Wiki. She writes in both in English and in Portuguese. "

is not 2 or 3 articles :(

Updated

My Windows Phone Apps

First of all, that's pretty awesome (the monthly winners and whatnot). They did that 100% manually. We'll see if we can find them and if they want to continue anything like that for Windows Dev articles on TNWiki.

Second of all, it's kind of crazy. There are ZERO links from those weekly and monthly winner lists to your profile or any of the articles! Very high contrast to our Guru awards, where every article and author is called out and each one has a link.

So I can't find articles from either of you on the Nokia wiki. Do you have a profile link for that site?

Thanks!

Monday, December 29, 2014 11:44 PM
    Owner
  • Ed, that is a great idea, for Sara to create the Wiki articles herself (based on her Nokia articles), then tag the corresponding migrated articles for deletion. I like it. Then she becomes the author.

Tuesday, December 30, 2014 2:35 AM
  • Hello,

I need to verify one by one! But I have a list with all articles in TechNet Wiki and in Nokia Wiki.

I think the profile is this link

http://developer.nokia.com/profile/saramgsilva#

but it not load weell, I know that is a url that can show all my articles in Nokia Wiki, but not found it, the community manager give me it, one time.

I need to review all and will take some time. There are so many, my goal is to keep the quality

My Windows Phone Apps

Tuesday, December 30, 2014 11:18 AM
  • When there's a will, there's a way.

The moderators used to get in touch with us directly or by posting on commenting on the article.

Well, what's done it's done! I'll republish and request deletion of the clone.

Paulo Morgado

Tuesday, December 30, 2014 12:40 PM
  • When there's a will, there's a way.

The moderators used to get in touch with us directly or by posting on commenting on the article.

Well, what's done it's done! I'll republish and request deletion of the clone.

Paulo Morgado

Understood. But the moderators had moved on. The deadline was approaching. The only solution would have been to ask you to manually migrate the articles (copy and paste), which is what our vendor did.

So it would have been to basically ask you to do what we're asking you to do now. Not really different. The only difference is that it wouldn't have surprised you as much (something good about that) and that we wouldn't have covered our bases as well and would have probably lost a lot of content from people who wanted to migrate their content but didn't find the time (a lot of bad about that).

So I agree, a heads up would have been good. But I can't even find any of your articles. There isn't a single link in this thread, and the one link Sara gave me gives me an error.

Tuesday, December 30, 2014 6:34 PM
    Owner
  • Hello,

I need to verify one by one! But I have a list with all articles in TechNet Wiki and in Nokia Wiki.

I think the profile is this link

http://developer.nokia.com/profile/saramgsilva#

but it not load weell, I know that is a url that can show all my articles in Nokia Wiki, but not found it, the community manager give me it, one time.

I need to review all and will take some time. There are so many, my goal is to keep the quality

My Windows Phone Apps

If you focus on migrating your articles, we can help you find the duplicates currently on the Wiki.

Tuesday, December 30, 2014 6:36 PM
    Owner
  • Hi,

I was also a Forum Nokia contributor and had some articles related to Windows Phone that were migrated to the TechNet. I did a search in the TechNet and found 11 articles with my old Forum Nokia username "mfabiop".

What should I do now? Create the same article with my current TechNet user, copy and paste the content from the older article and tag the old ones as duplicated?

Br, 

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 10:06 AM
  • Hi,

I have the same problem. I have more then 20 articles on the ND wiki. I saw some of them migrated with wrong embedded links and pictures linked in from ND. When ND is closing all those will break.

My ND Name is influencer.

I fear the recreate all articles idea won't work out in the remaining time.

Thomas

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 4:56 PM
  • Can you try to find your articles that was moved? you can create your own article and then cloned should be reported for delete.

My Windows Phone Apps

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 5:10 PM
  • Yeah, trying to achieve that before the content is deleted on ND. Did you already recreate all your texts?
    Wednesday, March 4, 2015 5:31 PM
  • not, but I need to do it as soon as I can...

My Windows Phone Apps

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 5:41 PM
  • Ouch!

THE PAGE EDITOR IS CATASTROPHIC!

At least with IE, I didn't try anything else.

• Can't format text, even if some text is selected, it always formats the first paragraph.
    • Inserts <br/> tags constantly.
    • Can't upload images.

No way to create a new article like that. I think I'll put all of them to my blog!

Thomas

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 5:59 PM
  • Hey,

breath depth first :)

Is possible to upload the images and you can copy and past articles from word or notepad++ but do not copy and past from web. 

My Windows Phone Apps

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 6:03 PM
  • Images are uploaded but not inserted into the text. And I don't get a link so I can't find the image any more.

I'll try for some minutes and then eventually give up...

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 6:07 PM
  • I tried Chrome now and was able to insert images and format text...

Is that a Google show here or is MS working on their own domain?

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 6:39 PM
  • you must be more patient, the Nokia Wiki wasn´t easy on begin...

Define the titles with h1, h2, h3 and on top use [TOC]

My Windows Phone Apps

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 7:49 PM
  • Do you know what's wrong if I enter a new article, press save, it takes some time and then save is enabled again but my article is not to be found? Using Chrome this time...

Thursday, March 5, 2015 5:22 PM
  • Hi,

I was also a Forum Nokia contributor and had some articles related to Windows Phone that were migrated to the TechNet. I did a search in the TechNet and found 11 articles with my old Forum Nokia username "mfabiop".

What should I do now? Create the same article with my current TechNet user, copy and paste the content from the older article and tag the old ones as duplicated?

Br, 

Yes. Or just create the new articles so you get clearer credit. Then let us know so we can delete them.

TechNet Wiki gives you more credit with the profile pick and prominence on your profile.

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 1:37 AM
    Owner
  • Do you know what's wrong if I enter a new article, press save, it takes some time and then save is enabled again but my article is not to be found? Using Chrome this time...

It means it crashed, but the article was likely made. You can find it via the Wiki home page, Wiki featured articles feed, or your profile activity. Or a search in a few hours later.

This is a known issue we're working on. 

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 1:39 AM
    Owner
  • I tried Chrome now and was able to insert images and format text...

Is that a Google show here or is MS working on their own domain?

There are IE bugs. Our migration will also fix this. 

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 1:40 AM
    Owner

If you click Save and the page refreshes, but you remain in the Wiki editor, then your article was not saved. You must scroll back down and click Save again. Sometimes I must click save many times before it works, but I have always been able to save eventually.

You know the article has been saved when the page refreshes and you are viewing the article itself, not in the editor with the Save button. If you scroll down after clicking Save and see your edit comment (plus the Save button), you must click Save again.

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 2:23 AM