none
Setting Static IP on NIC Team for virtual switch.

Question

• Hello folks. I have searched and searched, but cannot find a straight answer. The OS is WS2012r2.

Question is "Can a static IP be assigned to a NIC team of 2 NICS, for the purpose of having a vswitch for 2 vms?"  If so how?

Conditions are as follows;

The host is set up separately, and will not be using the teaming for itself, just for the vms.

Only 1 physical switch

2 NICs available for the teaming

2vms ( 1 REHL, 1 WS2012R2)

Trying to keep it simple.  

I am testing for future deployments.  DHCP is not an option.  Thanks.

• Edited by mainGmutt Tuesday, May 15, 2018 9:15 PM added OS
    Tuesday, May 15, 2018 9:14 PM

All replies

• A Hyper-V virtual switch does not have an IP address. Any attempt to put any IP on the logical team adapter used by a Hyper-V virtual switch will break something.

Eric Siron
    Altaro Hyper-V Blog
    I am an independent contributor, not an Altaro employee. I accept all responsibility for the content of my posts. You accept all responsibility for any actions that you take based on the content of my posts.

• Proposed as answer by Tim CerlingMVP Wednesday, May 16, 2018 11:16 AM
    Tuesday, May 15, 2018 10:00 PM
  • Hi,

There is a discussion about NIC Teaming and Virtual Switches,please refer to it

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/90bbb1e3-af46-44dd-b48d-ea914d6efe69/newbie-nic-teaming-and-virtual-switches?forum=winserverhyperv

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,
    Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 6:38 AM
  • Hi,
    Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Frank

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, May 18, 2018 9:53 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved? 

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.
    If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.
    If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,
    Frank

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 7:15 AM