none
searching while doing a full crawl RRS feed

• Question

• How do we have to design a FAST Farm to ensure searching while doing a full crawl?

We want to start with a small farm of two rows and two columns. But we have to extend the FAST later in the year( 100m docs). But our external FAST experts sais that we have to stop all searchers und indexers before we can do a the full crawl to integrate the new servers. But we cannot abandon the search for 3 or 4 days in our SharePoint.

thanks for your help.

Lutz

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 3:00 PM

All replies

• Hi!

You can indeed perform queries while doing a full crawl in normal situations.

I assume you are extending your Fast solution with extra columns to accomodate more documents. And, according to MS documentation you will have to remove all content for this: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg482015.aspx

During normal operations, when a new document is indexed the indexing dispatcher will decide, based on a hash value of the document id, which indexer column this document will be indexed by. When a new column is added this operation must be done for all documents all over again. Otherwise you would have to move and delete a lot of documents between indexes in one big operation. You also have to have a search process running for each column, so at the same time as this index switch you would have to switch search processes as well. I guess because of complications in doing this causes you to have to delete the index and start over. I know of no way to do this in FS4SP other than to refeed all documents all over. Sorry.

For such a large system, I usually prefer to have a parallell environment for fallback, testing or staging. Do you have this, and could you use this as the main search engine for 3-4 days?

With regards,

Gunnar

Gunnar Braaten - Search Consultant - Bouvet ASA - www.bouvet.no

Thursday, June 30, 2011 10:35 AM
  • In ESP you had the option to put a search process in standalone mode, meaning it kept its already calculated index no matter what the indexer did. I don't think this will be a supported in FS4SP, but since a lot of ESP is still there inside FS4SP, it might work. It will probably be unsupported though. Do you have access to ESP documentation?

Or maybe someone else has a better solution?

Gunnar Braaten - Search Consultant - Bouvet ASA - www.bouvet.no

Thursday, June 30, 2011 10:39 AM
  • Hi Lutz

This scenario is addressed in the recently launched SP1:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2460039

Line 50 in the Excel spreadsheet:

FAST Search Server Functionality to add search columns to a live system is lacking.

What it will do, is to redistribute the Fixml among the new columns. So, you avoid the need for full recrawl and taking down search. On the other hand, you cannot add new content to your installation while this redistribution is taking place.

Regards

Thomas Svensen | Microsoft Enterprise Search Practice
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 2:08 PM